ntldr is missing xp sp3

Discussion in 'Software' started by tantram61, May 28, 2011.

1. tantram61

tantram61 Private E-2

I have been looking at the threads to try and repair this myself. This is an HP Media Center PC running XP SP3. My son was playing Warcraft Dota - exited the game, turned off the PC when he came back the "ntldr is missing" message came up. No new hardware or software installed. I don't have XP discs but I do have the HP recovery discs that came with the computer. I was able to confirm that the bios is set to read from the CD first before the HDD's. I ran the HP recovery disc, on a black screen I had a choice of "F" for full recovery and "Q" to quit. I pressed "R" and got to the recovery / restore menu. I went through the restore process, hoping not to loose any data, nearly all my data files are backed up on an external HDD, the restore completed after about an hour. I restarted the PC and am back to the black screen with "ntldr is missing". Can you help point me in the right direction?

Thanks

2. oma

oma MajorGeek

Q. 7. When I start my computer, I get error message:
    NTLDR is missing
    or
    Boot: Couldn't find NTLDR
    Sol: Boot using Windows Setup CD and enter into "Recovery Console" by pressing "R". Now Log into windows installation and enter admin password. Now give following commands at prompt:
    copy x:\i386\ntldr c:\
    copy x:\i386\ntdetect.com c:\

Where "x" is your CD drive, change it acc. to your system.

http://www.askvg.com/frequently-asked-problems-with-solutions/

That's for XP. Hope the above helps as I never had to do it myself.

3. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi,

I think you will need Recovery Console or a Live Linux CD to see what is going on on that drive to determine if the ntldr is actually missing or if it is a boot file problem.

You can get a recovery console iso here. Then burn it to a blank CD as an image file. You can use imgburn and choose "Write image File to Disc" then browse to the ISO you downloaded and select it and then click the double icon at the bottom of the window to begin burn process.

Boot from the CD and choose R for repair. Select Windows (usually 1), enter password if you have one set or just hit <enter> if no password.

At the prompt type dir C: and see if ntldr and ntdetect.com exist.
    Let us know.

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

5. sach2

Just a quick heads up that the rc.iso does not include the ntldr and ntdetect files. It is only recovery console. Most steps can be followed but you since you don't have an installation CD you won't be able to copy those files. (Often an ntldr is missing message is not caused by the files being missing but a configuration problem.)

6. tantram61

tantram61 Private E-2

Thanks everyone for the help!

I took sach2's advice and burned recovery console to a cd. I was able to run it when I rebooted the PC. I did not get the opportunity to type "R" - it automatically started to run the Windows set-up. After it loaded the files to run RC it came up with the "blue screen of death". The tech info at the bottom was:
    *** STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78DA63C, 0x0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I restarted the PC again with the same results.

7. sach2

That would seem like a SATA driver problem.
    I guess a work around would be if you could change SATA mode in BIOS to IDE emulation. Can you see any SATA related options in your BIOS F10 at boot (I believe that is the key for HP).

8. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

There is a solution here !! :major

http://social.technet.microsoft.com...p/thread/a4428641-e7f4-4c57-8afb-4dedfb098670

9. tantram61

tantram61 Private E-2

Thanks everyone for the help. The PC is back up and running. I re-seated the hard drive cables and ran recovery console. All my data and files are still there but some of the software will have to be replaced.

Thanks again for all the advice!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds