NTLDR missing (not floppy)

Discussion in 'Software' started by mgillard, Jan 9, 2006.

1. mgillard

mgillard Private E-2

Hey folks, brother inlaw bought a new external hard drive and tried moving all his files onto it to free up some space but I think he moved a few too many.

Now windows (XP pro) won't boot (NTLDR missing) and the repair function on the windows disk apparently can't find a windows installation to repair... I think!! It asks which installation to repair but lists no options. I said to enter "1" it then asks for a passwd but he doesn't have one...

What are his options for getting windows up without reformatting? There's a lot of data on the computer that he doesn't want to lose.

Thanks in advance,
    M

2. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Hit Enter when it asks for a password.

3. mgillard

mgillard Private E-2

Yeah, tried that too! No luck.

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. mgillard

mgillard Private E-2

Thanks folks! I'll post the progress when I talk to him again.

7. Carrie

Carrie Private E-2

how do you make a boot disk for this problem if neither computer you own has a floppy disk drive??

8. Shadow_Puter_Dude

You don't need a boot floppy for this, all the files except for the boot.ini are on the Windows CD. You can copy the boot.ini, if you need it, to a CD and transfer it to the computer.

9. Maybe you can try to use the recovery console and do fixboot and fixmbr commands to rewrite the bootsector which (correct me if i am wrong) contains the ntldr files. Try those commands in recovery console and see if it helps.
    -the new tech guy

10. Shadow_Puter_Dude

11. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Actually, NTLDR errors can be related to the bootsector, and a floppy can help, hence my instructions in the Read Only forum, and the notes in here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320397/en-us

I'd say more often than not, NTLDR errors that don't deal with missing files are partition table issues, which, once again, a floppy can sometimes overcome.

12. Shadow_Puter_Dude

I hadn't read that article, Thanks. I haven't encounter NTLDR errors caused by MFT fragmentation before.

In this case the user can't use floppies, neither computer has one; a bootable CD should serve the same purpose.

13. Oh ok because i thought those files existed and pretty much were the computer's boot sector and doing the commands previously posted, would rewrite those corrupted files automatically with new ones. If what Adrenalyne is saying is correct about the MFT being fragmented, we may need to somehow defrag it. Just thought the commands would simply make the copy easier by automating the process.
    -the new tech guy

14. Shadow_Puter_Dude

The article that Adrenalyne linked to explains how to fix MFT fragmentation. Windows 2000 SP4 and Windows XP SP2 do not have this problem according to Microsoft.

15. Yeah but how reliable has microsoft been? It may just be that. We do not know for sure. There is alot of advice posted so let's just wait and see what happens.
    -the new tech guy

16. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

17. Dixiebele

Dixiebele Private E-2

To Shadow_Puter_Dude, HELP. My name is Dixiebele and this is the only way I know how to get to you. I am getting NTLDR is missing on my laptop. I have a lot of pics that I did not back up before this happened, how can I save them and other data before doing the what you 5/24/05 posting is done, not that I really understand it but I need my laptop. Can you help me????? I am listed in the member list but I can not private message you since I am a Newbie. Thanks Dixiebele

18. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds