Ntoskml.exe Eating Up All My Cpu

Discussion in 'Software' started by Recycle Bin, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

Yo

So, the other day I noticed my fps in games were cut in half.
    Did a little investigating and found out through Process Explorer that System Idle Process (ntoskml.exe) is eating up most of my CPU usage.

Here's a screenshot http://puu.sh/lYJ1W/8305f09542.png

I know it's normal behavior for Windows 7 to do this while idle, but when it's not idle, it doesn't stop. I have to reboot every time to fix it and it's getting annoying.

Any ideas?

2. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Recycle Bin...

System Idle Process is 100%, when your PC is idling. For each % used by programs, services, or other processes, SIP will appear in Task Manager as 1% lower than before. Sort by the CPU column in the Processes tab of TM, and you will see how the dynamic works. Add the amounts of processor usage by running programs below SIP, and you will notice that SIP is 100 - the total of those amounts. It's always this number.

SIP cannot be the problem. It exists merely for the PC to remain in a readiness state for whatever you choose to do or choose to do on top of what you are already doing and is in Task Manager merely for you to see easily how much processor bandwidth is free for use. It is at its highest when your programs are using the least of the available processor processing bandwidth.

Although SIP does appear in Task Manager in the processes tab, it's not really to be considered a process per se, although there is obviously activity associated with kernel regulation that is also associated with SIP. That part could probably get a little bit complicated, because MS' way of explaining processor usage does not directly or explicitly explain the system investment in kernel readiness. Instead, MS presents it as System Idle Process or the amount of available processing bandwidth. The more you are using your programs, the less is required by Windows for kernel readiness, because the less bandwidth is available to be maintained.

OK, so your problem. Have you tested your internet connection. Try here to make sure it is at the expected speed:

http://www.speedtest.net/

This is just one of many things that could be behind loss of frames...

3. Recycle Bin

Internet is fine

Though I forget to mention this only happens after my PC has been idle for about 10 or 15 minutes. It goes into auto sleep mode

edit: So I guess I'll just disable sleep mode and see if it works

4. AtlBo

Recycle Bin...

Sorry I missed your post. How is disabling sleep working?

This sounds like connection throttling to me on too many levels to ignore. If you are still having the problem, I recommend giving your ISP a call and see if they can detect a problem on their end. Make sure you are able to verify as they work that you are experiencing the frames drop or try to call when you are experiencing the problem. That way you will know it's on your end somewhere if they don't see it...

5. Recycle Bin

Disabling sleep mode worked. Though now I feel like i'm consuming a lot of power.

6. AtlBo

Recycle Bin...

OK, try this program. It really works (I have used it for 4 years):

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/smartpower.html

This replaces the Windows sleep rules with its own. In the program, you set how much inactivity from the mouse sends the PC to sleep, and it will go to sleep every time. However, you also set in the program what, when open, blocks the PC from going to sleep. See if you can use it without causing the frames problem...

One thing about deciding what will block sleep (what to enter in the processes dialog). It's hard to read on the menu, but it says to enter each process name without the .exe and separated with commas. So if you want realplayer to block sleep while it's open, type in ",realplay" and so on. The best processes to enter are things like browsers, media players, video converters, games, steam client, anything that runs for a long time to complete, like Cleaners, backup programs.

There is also a tiny program called Insomnia that I like to use with SmartPower. Enter "Insomnia" in the processes area of Smart Power and download this file from MS:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/insomnia.html

Open it when you just want to keep the PC open for the heck of it like you are going to take out the trash or run to the store real quick. If you don't enter it into the SmartPower dialog, SP will overpower Insomnia. That's what I love about SP. It's reliable, and hopefully you can use it without killing your frames. It's worth a look...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds