NumLock and Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'Software' started by hj1, May 18, 2010.

1. hj1

hj1 Private E-2

I connect with my laptop (running xp) to my office via a vpn. I then use remote desktop to connect to and work on my desktop computer (running vista) in my office. I have done this with the same machines for a few years now. For the last 2 months though something has changed. I cannot use my numeric keypad on my notebook to enter numeric data on the host machine. The Num Lock light is on on both machines, however entries on the numeric keypad act as arrow keys etc. I cannot enter numbers. Going back a couple of months ago, I did not have this problem. I don't know what changed or how to fix it. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Have you tried toggling numlock whilst in remote desktop?

3. hj1

hj1 Private E-2

Yes I have.

4. hj1

hj1 Private E-2

Ok some new info. I just connected to my office from my home desktop pc. The numeric keypad works on the host machine. I then connected to my office from another laptop and the numeric keypad does not work on the host machine. So I think I narrowed this down to something with the external numeric keypads used with notebooks. I dont think its the host machine. Any ideas?

5. hj1

hj1 Private E-2

bump - anybody got any ideas:confused

6. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Does this happen if you connect a USB keyboard to your laptop and use that to remote desktop?

7. hj1

hj1 Private E-2

Thanks

Im not sure but I'll give that a try. I'll let you know how it works out. Your saying an entire keyboard, not just a numeric keypad right?

8. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Yes, that is correct.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds