nv4 in continuous loop

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fuzzy, May 24, 2009.

1. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Private E-2

I have checked out your site for anything relating to my problem and although I picked up a few things to try, because of the way my problem popped up I though that I'd better get some advice.......

I reinstalled WinXP on the computer (Dell Dimension 4550), all went well. Then I installed the necessary drivers (from the Dell downloads site) so I could get online to download any necessary updates. That went pretty good. Now able to get on line I went to Windows updates. I downloaded SP2. That was successful. Then SP3. No problem. Then all the other Windows updates. When finished installing everything it rebooted.........giving me the BSOD which stated that nv4-disp is in an infinite loop.:cry Everything was rosie until I installed all those Windows updates.

What did Windows do to me? What do I do now?

2. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Private E-2

What if I just removed all the misc. Windows updates, just leaving the Sp3? Would that work? Would it cause me more problems?

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Leave the Windows updates alone, for now anyway. Download this video driver but DO NOT install it yet. Uninstall the currently installed video drivers, restart the PC and cancel the hardware wizard if/when it starts up after the reboot. Then install the driver you just downloaded and restart the PC when it's done. That should do it!
    :-D
    Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

[dlb]

4. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Private E-2

That did the trick. Everything is looking good.

Thank you very much dlb. :-D

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:highfive You are very welcome! I'm glad I could help! :celebrate

[dlb]
    :major

6. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Private E-2

Hold the celebration :cry After updating AVG and changing the wallpaper all of a sudden I had the Error message: Message to DVS: Shell: Calling get root key before nview.dll is loaded. All the colours went strange, every picture an abstract. The print on every webite is really large and the computer will not change the Text Size no matter which size I choose.

I went into Display Properties and found the resolution: 800x600 and color quality:lowest (4 bit). I attempted to change these settings but on reboot they were back again.

HELP!!

7. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Private E-2

I disabled the Display Adapter and now everything looks fine, but I guess that it isn't because I'm pretty sure that that really should be enabled.

What IS my problem??

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Since this is a clean install of WinXP (according to the first post), and you've had some problems since day one, I'd say the video card is failing. But if this isn't a clean install (and I misunderstood the statement "I reinstalled WinXP on the computer"), then it could be a low-level Windows problem. You can try removing the video drivers again, but this time install the chipset drivers from this link, reboot, then reinstall the video drivers as before. The one thing that is difficult about fixing someone else's PC through a forum, is that I'm not right there and I tend to think better when I have physical contact with the problematic PC. Anyway- if formatting the hard drive is not out of the question, you can try a clean install of Windows (if you haven't already) and see if things improve. If they don't there's a good chance that the video card has failed. It is, after all, pretty freekin' old.... good luck! Let us know what happens!
    :-D

9. Fuzzy

Fuzzy Private E-2

Yes it was a clean install of Windows.

Being the impatient type I finally decided to dive in and try to solve it myself (that does get me in trouble occasionally). I unistalled the driver in safe mode, then I ran Driver Sweeper, then reinstalled the driver from the Nvdia site.

Everything is working great.:-D :-D :-D Now I just have to sell the thing before something else pops up. Case closed. :wave

Thanks again for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds