nvgts.sys and XP

Discussion in 'Software' started by novocast, Mar 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. novocast

novocast Private E-2

Hi, I know this topic has been discussed in the software forum before however, my problem cannot be fixed with that solution.

I am running the eVGA nforce 780i board.

The driver which controls SATA drives is the afore mentioned nvgts.sys and causes the system to BSOD, very often. I have downloaded all the nforce chipset drivers to the newest ones.

Unfortunately I cant install XP without the drivers (which solved others problems) as XP needs those drivers to boot and install in the first place.

Also, uninstalling them will not let XP boot afterwards and a full repair is then needed.
    I'm at the end of my teather here so any help would be greatly appreciated.

:confused

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

:major Welcome to Major Geeks!
    Have you looked in the eVGA forums for a possible answer? I found a BIOS update released in Jan 2008 that may help. It mentions a stability improvement; maybe it will help. Here's the link: http://www.evga.com/support/drivers/default.asp?switch=2
    While you there, visit the Knowledge Base and the forums and see what you can find ;)
    Good luck!

3. novocast

novocast Private E-2

I've been talking to one of their support guys, and apparently its a known issue between nvgts.sys SATA controller driver and SATA DRDRWs.
    nVidia are trying to sort it out.

For people experiencing this problem,
    Set your PC up without using RAID. This will negate the use of this driver and it wont be installed.

4. WERA689

WERA689 Private E-2

I, too, have been experiencing this error issue while building on a 780i EVGA board. Which bobo driver to I NOT install to prevent it? I've had the issue, and do not run a RAID array, just a single 500g SATA HDD.
    It seems that trying NOT to install that driver does not allow the rest of the mobo drivers to be loaded.

5. WERA689

WERA689 Private E-2

I just spoke with EVGA Tech, and I'm told that this is a known issue affecting systems using SATA optical drives. The official workaround is to install an IDE optical disc, while disconnecting all SATA optical drives from the mobo.
    A solution is promised, but no time frame was offered, of course. This does, so far seem to have fixed the issue, but I can tell how much slower the IDE interface is!
    BTW, SATA HDD's are unaffected (thank God!)

6. Belialzero

Belialzero Private E-2

Seriously, I thank you. I registered on this forum just to say this.

System:
    CPU: Intel Pentium D 820 (yeah, dated I know)
    Motherboard: Asus P5N-D nforce 750i SLI chipset
    Graphics: MSI GeForce 6800 Ultra (also dated, I swear I'm going to upgrade)
    Memory: Corsair DDR2 667 2GB
    Optical: A Friggin SATA Lite-On Drive (which rocks, stupid nvidia)

Unplugged the SATA optical drive and BAM it works. I have formatted and reinstalled once already and didn't want to do it again to not install the SATA driver, so I can't thank you enough for the tip.

Thanks again,
    Mitch

7. WERA689

WERA689 Private E-2

I have a thread in the EVGA forums, in the 780i section, titled "what is this error". There is some great info from a guy by the name of saphirex about a possible fix for this issue without waiting for EVGA/NVIDIA. I haven't tried it quite yet, but as soon as I get a couple more questions answered, I will.
    I'm glad the suffering I endured trying to figure this problem out has helped someone else to understand what's going on here.
    Take a look at the other forum...

8. tborton

tborton Private E-2

I had similar problems on my XFX 780i but things are stable now. It might be useful if you don't have a PATA optical drive nor any available SATA connectors to move to. Here are the steps I took:
    - Uninstalled NVIDIA drivers
    - Ran Driver Sweeper to remove the remnants
    - Ran regedit to remove the NV* service entries (3, think)
    - Ran the inplace upgrade for XP Pro w/SP2 slipstreamed
    - Installed only the NVIDIA Ethernet driver from the nForce 9.46 package - no media shield or network manager. This has a desired side-effect of putting all the drivers in package under C:\NVIDIA
    - Ran regsvr wups2.dll from a command prompt. It's needed for Windows Update to work if 3.1 was installed. If you don't have the file, you should be okay.
    - Ran Windows Update (~90 updates!)
    - Started Device Manager and switched the view to "Devices by connection". Found the IDE controller(s) that had just hard disks attached. Updated driver on just those - no optical drives - with the sata_ide drivers under C:\NVIDIA.
    - After the reboot, I then updated the drivers on the controller attached to the SATA DVD.
    - After the next reboot, I copied a data DVD to several different places simultaneously. No BSODs or ntfs corruption.

This has only been running a couple of hours, but before my computer would crash within 5-10 minutes with either a BSOD or ntfs errors.

9. RoFLKOPTr

RoFLKOPTr Private E-2

What about simply uninstalling the RAID driver? I'm using an MSI P7N Platinum, but with the 780i chipset, and I'm having the same problem. I am not using a RAID configuration, so I didn't really need to install those drivers. Should uninstalling the drivers solve the problem, or will I need to make a fresh Windows install?

EDIT: When I get home, I'm going to just uninstall the drivers, and try to get a BSOD. I'll let you know if it works. Won't be for a few hours, though.

10. tborton

tborton Private E-2

nvgts.sys is installed for both RAID and non-RAID; the RAID driver also includes nvrd32.sys.

From what I read - and this is being pulled from very thin air - I would hazard that the setup routine for the drivers does something with SATA optical drives that the normal driver install doesn't.

Uninstalling the drivers puts you back in IDE-compatible mode with the Windows drivers. The speed difference was noticeable to me; it may not be for you.

11. ArGi35

ArGi35 Private E-2

12. MADDSNIPER

MADDSNIPER Private E-2

how exactly did that link solve your problem? cause i downloaded the drivers and ran them and installed the Ethernet Driver (v67.15) "WHQL" and SMBus Driver (v4.57) "WHQL" but unticked the media shield install but i was still getting the BSOD constantly.. only solution i found was to rip out the sata dvd burner :/

13. The Uncle Jimbo

The Uncle Jimbo Private E-2

Following the link provided earlier in this thread solved my problem... Eventually.

Here's what I had.

ASUS P5N-D 750i SLI chipset
    Samsung 22X SATA DVD burner

Initially installed the ASUS 'Auto Install' drivers off the CD provided and saw the problem.

To fix it, I:

-shut down, disconnected the SATA burner
    -copied over the nVidia chipset drivers
    -uninstalled the ASUS drivers
    -installed the nVidia chipset drivers
    -shutdown and reconnected the SATA burner

Problem SEEMS to be solved, but any type of hardware issue that produces a BSOD makes me anxious.

Thanks to everyone who posted here. Hope this helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds