NVIDIA audio driver problems

Discussion in 'Software' started by a.jenery, Nov 4, 2005.

1. a.jenery

a.jenery Private E-2

Hi...

Firstly, apologies if some of this is covered in other posts...
    I've very recently put together a new PC based on an an 'XC-Cube EZ18' by AOpen, but there seems to be a major problem with the NVIDIA nForce audio driver that came on the driver cd-rom supplied with it.
    Simply, my Win-XP Pro' version 2000 (32-bit) instalation did not recognise it when I first installed the driver from the cd. I got the error message saying that it didn't pass Windows logo testing, etc, etc - ending with 'error code 39'. Of course I installed it anyway (what else could I do - I need a driver, right...) - and sure enough, if I right click on its entry in Device Manager, which displays a yellow '!' sign over it, and select Properties, it gives the same message '..... error code 39'.
    So I contacted my dealer and they told me to go to nvidia.com to download the latest update for Win-XP, which I did, and then attemptd to install it; that is, after uninstalling the original one.
    Windows had a fit! It gave me the same warning as before, only this time the system completely stopped (powered down; screen went blank, etc), but luckily restored and re-booted itself.
    To cut a long story short, the new driver did install as such, but when I checked it in Device Manager, nothing had changed! I still have the yellow '!' sign over it, and the same '....error 39' message if I go to Properties.
    Which ever, the speakers on my TFT monitor do not work, just as with the original driver.
    I have the correct lead going into the audio L/R ports on the monitor and into the m/media port on the back of the EZ18, so the problem's not with the lead. I've also checked the speakers with an ordinary audio playback device (portable cd player) and they work ok, so it's not a fault with the speakers either.
    This leaves only two other possibilities. That I still have to find the right driver, what ever that is, or reign myself to the possibility that there is a problem with the sound card built into the EZ18's m'board.
    I don't know, any ideas on what I should do? I've just spent the last three months putting it all together, so I'll be more than fed up if I have to take it back and effectively have to start from square-one again - the refund, as it's still way within it's warranty, will be little consolation.
    All help appreciated. AOpen & Nvidia should be s..t!

Regards

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Just to clarify, what version of XP do you have ( you mention XP Pro 2000, maybe typo )? and is that fully upto date, with all service packs?

generally if some drivers are not installing correctly, the first cluprit to check is are the motherboard/chipset drivers installed? in your case they are the nForce2 chipset drivers, either should be on supplied driver cd or you can get latest from herehttp://www.nvidia.com/object/nforce_udp_winxp_5.10.html ( note: at least Service Pack 1 must be installed first, but better still would be Service Pack2 )

3. a.jenery

a.jenery Private E-2

Many thanks for your reply... The O.S is Windows-XP Profesional version 2002, (you were right, NOT 2000) i.e. 32.bit version and not the later x64 or 64.bit version.
    AOpen quotes in it's FAQ list for the EZ18, that the NVIDIA nForce audio driver is not compatible with 64.bit versions, so I submitted a post asking if Win-XP Pro' version 2002 (this is how it's quoted within System, within Control Pannel) was the same thing under a different description (as I didn't know), and I was told that they are not the same; that mine is 32.bit.
    About service packs. Yes, I've heard alot about these - and I've started to suspect that this might solve the problem.
    For some reason, the Windows XP Pro that I purchased from my dealer, did not come with either sp1 or sp2; anyway, you're saying I need at least sp1 but ideally sp2 - many thanks for that. Are S'packs free to download?
    I assume the chipset drivers are installed as I installed all NFORCE drivers that came on the supplied utillities cd-rom, that came with the XCcube. This also included video drivers, not just audio, which work ok - it's only the audio driver that's the problem. As mentioned in the last post, I have also since downloaded an updated version of the NVIDIA audio driver, but this caused the system to shut down as described, although it did install as such - but again, same problem...
    So, anyway - shall I now still download SP2 and then go to the url you mention, or is this a lost cause..?

4. DavidGP

Dont think its a lost cause by any means, may take a short while to figure out the fix ( as we are not in same room, trying out avenues to take ) but is well worth going down a troubleshooting route?

Yes MS Service Packs are free, you have two routes to take...

1. Goto Windows Update and download

2. Download the full SP2 pack from here then double click to install ( warning tho, you will need to make damm sure your PC is free of Virii or Spyware and turn off any antivirus app when installing ) Full SP2 for XP 32bit

once installed I would be tempted to install the updated nForce chipset drivers.

5. a.jenery

a.jenery Private E-2

Many thanks; I see what you mean...

In other words (and as usual), where Windows drivers is concerned, for every possible cure or benefit, there's a possible defecit.

If I don't make sure my PC is spyware and virus free, what would happen?

I have some experience of dealing with both, and somehow always managed to find their location, but this didn't mean I knew what I was doing...
    I have Grisoft AVG and Spyware Nuker, so I'll run these to check first.

Re' installing updated nForce chipset drivers, would that be in addition to downloading another audio driver update, seeing as the last update didn't work any better than the original one; or..? And what would new chipset drivers actually do that the existing one's arn't doing (sorry to drag this out).

6. DavidGP

The install of the Service Pack could possibly fail, if you have nastys on your PC, but to aid you in making sure you have a virii/spyware free pc, we have some nifty guides to follow here http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35407

before installing any software it's always a wise thing to backup all your important data.. eg. Favorites, Address Book, important documents and anything you feel you cannot afford to loose.

Install the chipset drivers first and if they install ok and you still dont have sound, then install the Audio drivers again, but you're likely to need Service Pack 2 ideally installed for those drivers to install correctly.

7. a.jenery

a.jenery Private E-2

Right - cheers. So it's the whole lot then. I'll get right on it and seee what happens.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds