Nvidia driver problom Cant boot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by andy8992, Nov 19, 2009.

1. andy8992

andy8992 Private E-2

A while ago i updated my nvidia drivers on with vista and when i booted up the next day my screen would go black after a while. i thought it couldnt be fixed so i installed ubuntu. Installing took upwards of 20 times because of the screen problem. Once i got it working i tried to get my tv tuner in my pc to work by tinkering around with it and it started happening again. once again i tried to install every os i had when trying to install GOs it happened but i heard the boot jingle and realized my pc was still working. Do i need to buy a new video card or is there somthing that i can do?

nvidia 9500gs
    x2 2.6 ghz processor
    3gb ram

Please help me

2. Skycap

Skycap Private E-2

Seems to me like that card is on its way out. If it's failing under every OS installation and the same issue arises, then I'm afraid it has to be the video card. Aside from that, if you know electronics very well, you can uninstall the card, take a look at the pins that lead to the VGA/DVI connection you're using and make sure they're all still intact. A computer would normally freeze/shutdown/reboot if a video card suddenly failed, so it might be a faulty connection. Check with a different cable too.

3. andy8992

andy8992 Private E-2

I opened it up, i dont think i get what you mean. anyway i saw that the fan wasnt running after it started. the fan shround is clear and covered in dust and i was wondering if i got a can of compressed air and sprayed the dust out and got the fan to run it might work.

4. Michenko

Michenko Private First Class

If the fan isn't running, you may find it's just getting too hot and shutting itself down as a self-protection measure.

Compressed air might clear it, but make sure you check the connections also. Coming off the fan will be a cable which will connect to the graphics card. make sure it's connected properly.

If this doesnt solve it you may have to remove the card from the computer to give it a proper clean out, including the connections that attach to the motherboard.

If you do have to remove the card, make sure you are careful about static. Wear an anti-static bracelet if you have one, if not try to touch a bare piece of metal on your PC case before removing the card.

Or, it could be that the fan is dead and wont work again. It's all process of elimination unfortunately!!

Let me know how you get on

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  5. andy8992

andy8992 Private E-2

Thanks guys, i removed it( sort of only half came out) then i put it back in nice and snug. Worked like a charm.

6. Michenko

Michenko Private First Class

Lovely stuff, glad to hear it

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds