nvidia GeForce 7300GT compatibility question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nadsab, Apr 2, 2009.

1. nadsab

nadsab Private E-2

Hi,

I bought the graphics card last year for my Intel d865gbf motherboard. I believe the card - motherboard bus is the AGP 8x style.

I'm thinking about buying a new motherboard, because this one is getting a bit old, and was wondering, does anyone make a converter so that I could use this (almost) new card on the newer motherboards?

I'm also a bit confused, because my Nvidia control panel says the card is an AGP 8x card, but on the nvidia web site, they claim that this card is PCI express card. Are they one and the same?

Because if that's the case I'll probabaly go ahead and buy an intel DP35DP board, if the card will fit it, since I already have another PC with the DP35DP board and I like it.

2. ScoobySnack

ScoobySnack Private First Class

There are definitely 7300GT cards with both AGP and PCI-E connections. I would personally go with what your nvidia control panel is telling you, unless you have reason to believe it's incorrect, in which case you can physically look at your card's connectors and see what you have. You can check it against the 2 examples linked if you're not sure what they look like otherwise.:)

I'm unaware of any sort of converter from agp to pci-e, but that doesn't mean they don't exist. Even if they do exist tho, I'd imagine something (performance, for one) would be lost in translation. If you do any gaming or graphics intensive sort of stuff, I'd personally bite the bullet and get a pci-e graphics card, the difference is quite noticeable.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds