Nvidia GeForce 7800 and windows 7 driver

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by inventor1949, Aug 28, 2012.

1. inventor1949

inventor1949 Private First Class

Hi I have Inspiron 9400 and decide to upgrade so I install 300GB HD with new install Windows 7 plus refurbish Nvidia card GeForce 256MB (GK185) the last one took a dump.
    The problem is window updates for windows 7 keeps on installing the standard VGA graphics adapter and the resolution is no higher than 1280x1024 I try the Dell site for the driver and the laptop has a fit blue screens, pixilated screens, crashes and so on.
    Nvidia don't give me the driver because is a dell and I have to get it from dell, dell gives me one but windows 7 don't like it and me now in the middle what do I do? Please

2. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

If you go back to the Dell Support site and open the video driver section, I assume you used the R114697.EXE 1/18/2006 78.59, A01 version.

If you click on the GeForce Go 7800 in that box, it will take you to an different driver selection window. On the next to last down arrow, "Other versions" click it open and you get A01 97.46 Release Date: 1/19/2007.
    Try downloading and installing this version.

3. inventor1949

No that dint work the same problems.
    Am I suppose to uninstall the standard VGA graphics adapter before installing the new drive?

4. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

5. inventor1949

Ok then let us ask the question if the card is bad will it work with the standard VGA graphics adapter? because it works well with it it only crash when I install the driver. thanks

6. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

I gave you the link because I assumed that nVidia's website wouldn't identify your card. If the unified driver from MajorGeeks doesn't work, and windows update doesn't work, then something's wrong with the card.

In my experience, windows has no problem identifying cards and installing a dumbed down version that'll work. But the standard vga driver is even more basic, no aero, no gaming, nothing fancy. If that basic driver is all you can get to work then the card is bad.

Also, if Dell's driver is from 2007, I doubt that it would install on win7. Its probably an XP driver. Maybe reinstall XP if you have a copy.

7. inventor1949

Thank you papaduke I will wait till I get the replacement card to to see what happens the driver from MajorGeeks dint work ether .:cool

8. fatgeek

fatgeek Private E-2

I had similar issues with an Nvidia card, a bios update solved it!!

9. inventor1949

I installed a replacement card and the results were even worst I thing I tried all the drivers that I can fined I am still confused about windows 7 and Nvidia GeForce 7800 Is microsoft teling me something like go back to WinXp or buy new laptop?

The pictures from the two cards.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. inventor1949

12. inventor1949

I do need more help with this please.
    I re-install WinXp and new drivers for the card but the problem is still their first the screen peculated and then the blue screen of death with the error 0x000000EA and Nv4=disp it was hard to read the error because of the screen postulation.
    should I install all Microsoft updates before the driver install?
    Or maybe is not the card/driver that causing the problem?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds