NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra : I think I am well & truly stuffed - any advice welcome

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by alcina, Mar 15, 2008.

1. alcina

alcina Private E-2

Background. Built a new pc. Bought 2 of these cards for SLI mode. After 30 minutes running the PSU blew. When replaced & rebuilt realised that PSU hadn't been the only thing smoking. A couple of the gold pins that connect the card to the motherboard have 'gone' and there's a corresponding patch of carbon inside the slot on the motherboard.

Retailer replaced PSU but does not cover consequential damage.

Can this kind of damage be repaired?

2. ibbonkers

ibbonkers First Sergeant

Re: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra : I think I am well & truly stuffed - any advice welcom

not really likely.once its fried there's not much hope other then replacing it.

3. manontheedge

manontheedge Private E-2

Re: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra : I think I am well & truly stuffed - any advice welcom

Whoever you got the GPUs of should replace them if they broke so quickly.

BTW how did you get hold of 2 8800Ultras? They're fairly rare!

4. alcina

alcina Private E-2

Manontheedge
    Cool name, can't meil u so the simple answer is I found an on-line seller and ordered two
    Thik it was DABS.com

Thanks for the reply

5. spaff

spaff Private E-2

i could buy these cards all day long in england no problem but they are fairly pricey
    i dont think there is much you can do i done this today but with my HDD and i had to replace that luckily i had a back up on my external HDD and wasnt too pricey to replace a SATA 250 gig HDD
    i think its unfortunate this has happened and wish you luck in getting something for the cards
    ps i envy you greatly for having them cards :p there amazing

6. manontheedge

manontheedge Private E-2

He aint looking for replacements, hoever you bought them of should replace them, if they don't then you where had.

7. alcina

alcina Private E-2

Thanks for all the replies, they confirm what I'd expected - I am stuffed
    If I were clever enough to make use of the responses my next post would be, "Are there likely to be any useful bits that can be salvaged from a duff card.... " but I'm not so I won't

8. alcina

alcina Private E-2

thanks for the response.
    I'm gonna use it as a paterweight or something

9. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

If any of the hardware is under a year old it should be covered by a warranty. Some nVidia cards have a lifetime warranty: I know BFG and XFX have lifetime warranties and they even cover a card if it's burned out by overclocking so yours should be covered if they are one of those two companies. I think that eVGA has a lifetime warranty also, but I'm not 100% sure. I recently replaced a 7600GT through XFX that was about 2 years old and they replaced it no questions asked. And I wasn't the original owner of the card either, and it was still not a problem.

10. alcina

alcina Private E-2

thanks dlb. Ill check the documrntation that came with the card and follow this up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds