- Nvidia geforce FX 5200 graphics card not working

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Blueone, Oct 16, 2011.

1. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

I reformatted my computer about a month ago and while I have the above graphics card installed, it wouldn't work. I downloaded the appropriate driver from Nvidia's home page and while that helped, it doesn't allow me to designate whether my TV is to be a clone etc. In other words I don't have a control panel. The only thing that shows on my TV is the windows theme (no desktop icons even). I've tried several forums and why I didn't start here first I don't know. I have XP Home. I've tried drivers 179.19 and have 71.89 waiting in the wings. Some have said that older drivers work better with older graphics cards. I've uninstalled the card and rebooted to see the computer recognize new hardware and install the driver but it doesn't work. The only thing I haven't done is check the cables.

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Some always say older works better, some say beta works better, some say modified drivers work better. Unless your benchmarking to brag, the latest stable drivers are your best bet for just about everybody. So we got that out of the way.

What about the motherboard drivers? You didnt say what board so I don't know what you need unless you identify your computer or motherboard.

I thought nVidia was into the 200's on drivers. Try SlimDrivers and get the motherboard and video up to date.

If that fails you might try another video card if you can get one to try and duplicate the problem.

3. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I have one thought on the no icons in that perhaps it has something to do with being set for an extended desktop. I'm not sure if the Windows key + P opens the presentation dialog in XP but if it does double check that yours is set to Computer only.

5. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

You were right about the missing icons, it was extended. I ve since remedied the problem thanks to Major attitude and slimDrivers. I downloaded it and the first driver I installed gave me my control panel for the graphics card. Thanks for your response just the same.

6. Blueone

Blueone Corporal

First I want to thank you for your fast response and to tell you that your suggestion worked. SlimDrivers found 11 outdated drivers and the first one I installed gave me the control panel for the Nvidia graphics card. The only problem I'm having now is trust. By that i mean that some of the drivers don't pass microsoft's test and could as it says make the item not wok properly or at all. How safe would you think these drivers that SlimDriver recommends are? Thanks again for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds