Nvidia GeForce4 Human error made, blank monitor cannot fix

Discussion in 'Software' started by indiglo, Jul 7, 2006.

1. indiglo

indiglo Private E-2

Hi everyone, I made a mistake trying to fix an error with my graphics for my monitor. I found out that my monitor drivers needed an update so I updated them. However, it did not fix the problem.

My monitor has been blacking out and resettingitself to 8 bit color on the display everytime I needed to open a new program and totally messing up my graphics on my monitor and I had to fix it back to the original settings everytime this happened. So, I upgraded the Nvidia GeForce4 software altogether and went to the control panel for the software. On the software there is an option to make the graphics work better for the monitor that you are actually using. I was trying to check out the different types of viwes when the problem occured.

Now, my monitor is completely blank and I cannot get into the software to fix the error because I cannot see anything.

Right now the setting are for TV, because I had Nvidia search for other options to display the graphics. It showed TV and so I clicked on TV and everything went blank as a black star. Why don't they have an option that pops up to ask you if you want to keep this change like the original Desktop Display settings does??? That is the main error that I see that has happened here. I was expecting just to look at the different settings options, and now I cannot even use my computer.

I am using my other computer right now in order to correspond with you. However, I hate the attachments to this one and I do so like my HP Pavilion
    n763 so much better. I cannot watch my streaming videos with the one I am using right now and all my information is also on my other computer and my friend uses this one exclusively although it is mine also. I HAVE to fix this problem in order to keep the peace in my house and my mind.

We all know how important our computers are when you are not working and are physically disabled and do not get out of the house very much.

Please help me with this horrible problem. I need my computer or I will go crazy!!!:mad:

Thank you for all of your help in advance. I really appreciate it more than you could imagine.

Indiglo

2. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

hmm, does yourt monitor display anything during boot?

if not, try hooking the computer up to a TV if possible, and if you get display, you can take it from there.

3. indiglo

indiglo Private E-2

Yes, my computer displays the Windows boot screen icon across the screen. I'm sure you know what this is. I have thought about hooking it up to the TV, but do not have the right connections to do that, although I do believe that my computer has the right software to do it. It is an HP Pavilion n763.

So, if it does have some display during boot up, do you have any suggestions as to whether this could be fixed on the DOS menu? I am not DOS learned, but can take instructions well.

4. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Got on board video ....if so would hook that up. Remove gforce and reboot into bios and make sure onboard is enabled ....then uninstall all your video for the card and reboot ...then reinstall with the card back in.

5. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

ok, try tapping F8 on the keyboard repeatedly after you turn the computer on. if that brings you to a menu that lets you choose 'safe mode', do so (i suggest safe mode with networking, so you will still have internet and can troubleshoot on the same PC)

on a side note, DOS no longer exists in Windows, it was gone after Windows 98 :)

6. indiglo

indiglo Private E-2

I am not familiar with "on board video", so I would need more explanation of this procedure in order to try it.

I will try F8 and see what I can do. I already have my computer set for selective boot up in order to keep it going as fast as I can since it is so old and so full of everything I have done for the past 5 years.

I do plan on re-initializing it soon with it's total restart disk, but I want to make sure that I have downloaded everything that I wantbefore I do that. I also want a new 80GB memory so that the next time I will not get so full so fast and not slow my computer down in the meantime.

I'll let you know what happens when I try F8.

Thank you for your help.

If you can think of anything else, let me know. Maybe I can rent the TV connection somewhere instead of having to buy it right now.

Til next time.

Indiglo

7. indiglo

indiglo Private E-2

Okay, I'm on my computer now in Safe Mode. However, it will not allow me to start Nvidia in order to fix the problem.

So, what is next? Do I have to uninstall Nvidia in order to fix the problem?? I will look for the uninstall for this program while I am waiting for a response. Thank you.

Indiglo

8. InYearsToCome

InYearsToCome MajorGeek

yes, my recommendation is to uninstall the nvidia graphics drivers, and then boot back into windows and reinstall them

9. indiglo

indiglo Private E-2

Thank you for your help in getting me back into my computer after that horrible mistake I made. However, the problem that caused me to make the mistake still exists.

The display at first, when I reinstalled the Nvidia, was terrific and it wasn't re-setting itself anymore and the pictures were so much more clear than with the old drivers. Then, this morning, it started happening all over again. Please see my other post on Mozzilla's SSL securities.

Thank you once again for all of your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds