Nvidia/Omega Driver Switch Mayhem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jagdpanzer, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Jagdpanzer

Jagdpanzer Private First Class

A few days ago I downloaded Omega Drivers for my newer 7600GS graphics card, thinking it would lighten the load and make gaming a little more smooth on those Supreme Commander matches. Well, it didn't -- I kept getting this fullscreen pattern of strange color, and the system obviously crashed. So, I started back up in safe mode, uninstalled the omegadrivers, and then re-installed the standard, official nvidia drivers. they were the same version, in fact, so I figured this would be no problem. Well, the trouble didn't stop. Now, I still get freezes on bootup, and the only way I'm typing on it right now is safe mode with a networking prompt. Anyone have an idea of how I can get a clean driver installation? Where do I have to clean out the junk to make it work again?

Specs:
    WinXP SP2
    HDD: Samsung Spinpoint-P 250Gb SATA
    Ram: 1Gb
    VM: 1Gb or so
    Processor: Pentium 4 Prescott HT 3Ghz
    Video: PNY 7600GS 512mb
    Sound: Creative X-Fi
    Anything else you need, let me know. I have to get this fixed myself, spent all my money on a new car engine (needed, not wanted.) Thanks a lot!

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

3. hegemon875

hegemon875 Private First Class

Try using driver cleaner and/or driver sweeper.

4. Jagdpanzer

So far it's working. I used CCleaner and cleaned out the registry after I uninstalled the drivers, and when I reinstalled them I haven't had any trouble so far. Hopefully it stays that way. Thanks for the help, guys.

5. Jagdpanzer

Well guys, this is bad. It's doing it all over again, and I haven't messed with the Omega drivers since my last post. I've been using Game Accelerator Pro to eke some more juice out of my system for Supreme Commander and it's not doing a good job... when I restart it, everything freezes. Sometimes it give the repeating color lines all over the screen, but sometimes it simply freezes while loading the system tray. So, I DOn't know which direction I need to go in -- video card or software, or just the drivers? Drivers are 169.21, Win2kXP, GeForce 7 Series. Oh, and the card is a PNY Technologies brand. Maybe that matters. Anyone have an idea here?

6. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

Can you get to System Restore and back up to before you initially loaded the new drivers?

7. Jagdpanzer

I've had System Restore disabled since I installed WinXP Pro about 2-3 years ago, unfortunately.

8. Jagdpanzer

Well, I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers, and now I'm in normal mode posting this. Apparently then, it is a driver issue of some sort. I had nTune installed on the system as well, maybe that has something to do with it -- or do I need to get a previous version of the driver software?

9. joelsz

joelsz First Sergeant

???
    You uninstalled the Nividia drivers?
    What drivers is your video card using now?

10. Jagdpanzer

It's strangely enough capable of running at a minimum resolution without the drivers. I installed an earlier version of the drivers, around build 162, and it booted right up into normal mode. I'll get rid of nTune and the Omega setup files, and see how long this stays on track.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds