nvidia problems in win7

Discussion in 'Software' started by rinny, Dec 5, 2009.

1. rinny

rinny Private E-2

Hey.
    I have been getting some driver errors lateley, running a geforce GTX 280.
    It all startet out in windows vista, my screen turning black and then back on and i received an error saying "display driver version xxx.xx stopped responding and has successfully recovered". i did some research and it turned out that many had the same problem. this ended with me formating my computer and installed an windows7 ultimate original. every thing seems fine. now iam using the driver that came with win7. this was version 185.something. now after some days it starts failing again. so i got the newest driver from nvidia's site version 195.62 and still the same problem still exist. used the drive sweep or what its called, program that removes your selected driver completely and still the driver is failing.

anyone have some other tips for me that i need to tryout?

and yeah iam sure that everything is working the way it should, i cleaned my pc for dust and shit and the gpu temp is normal around 70-80Celcius due to living in norway and its so damn cold here. ^^
    the room my pc is located has an temp around 15Celcius.

/cheers

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I've had that error several times in Vista but not in W7 yet as far as I know(1 mth old install), with my GTX260 running 190.38 drivers. I'm not sure of the cause or the solution but I'm sure pleased that Vista didn't crash, I'm sure XP would have blue screened and it did several times over the years.

As to the GPU temps, if the fan is at around %40 then that should be normal temps even if it seems hot. If the fan is over %60 or so at idle then there might be an airflow problem in your case. BTW, my OC'd GTX260 is at 68C with fan @ %40 while being put through its paces using OCCT. I wish I had a 280 to play with.;)

Just giving you something to compare with. My friend has a 295 and that sucker runs very hot but he hasn't said if he ever saw a recovery in action.

Oh, BTW, don't install any video drivers offered by MS updates.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  3. rinny

rinny Private E-2

hmm, yeah it was like working nice for all most a year and bom there it goes of with shit loads of error msg. its quite disturbing while playing or even just browsing the web. iam 100%sure to see it crash if i watch clips on youtube. it just dont feel right you know^^

4. augiedoggie

Make sure to have just the basics running and start OCCT(link in my first post) and see what the charts/history show. You could try blowing out accumulated dust using canned gas, maybe force the fan to %100 using eVGA's Precision tool or RivaTuner if Precision doesn't work and check the temps and usability(it will likely be loud!).

Document everything and see what the board maker says to try and get an RMA if the cleaning doesn't work.

5. rinny

rinny Private E-2

okey, during the day the problem has been a lot worse now my screen turns black every 10min or so and everything stops working. now what i need is an reboot. trying to get the files you linked and hopefully everything will work so long that i can get that info :-D

6. rinny

rinny Private E-2

funny thing, now that i did a rollbackon the driver back to the windows standard shit and now it works alot better then with the new nvidia drivers.

only get the driver error right after entering windows and while watching fullscreen youtube clips.

let me know if you figure out some sniky metode to get it working.

7. augiedoggie

Maybe go back to the drivers that are on the CD that you got with the card. BTW, newer is not always better though video drivers from nVideo it's usually better.

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

I'm running a GTX260 c216 factory OCd and used RivaTuner to lock the fan at 70%. That seemed to be the "sweet spot" for cooling vs. sound. Before the adjusting the fan speed, the card idled at 55-60c and hit 90c+ during gaming sessions which I thought was WAY too hot. After locking the fan at 70%, I'm now idling in the low 40s, and max out at 65c-70c after 2-3 hours of gaming. If your card is idling at 70-80c, then it is probably overheating on even the slightest graphically intense chores (like YouTube videos). Video cards (and PCs in general) can do all kinds of crazy things when they get too hot.....

9. rinny

rinny Private E-2

yeah i know mate. but the weird thing is that when iam now using the driver deliverd with win7 everything seems fine, even game etc

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds