O.k guys, it just wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pmanning1969, Mar 26, 2005.

1. pmanning1969

pmanning1969 Private First Class

O.k., the MOBO recognizes both masters (cd-rw and Seagate HD) and I have gone through the setup process under WIN XP PRO.

It was setupUP UNDER CD ROM BOOT FIRST THEN i tried Hard Disk first.

I even formatted the drive again and went through the whole setup process again.

Like Steve Max suggested, I do not touch anything when computer automatically re boots after copying its files. When it reboots automatically, it goes to screen push any key to boot cd....... I did not touch anything and after 15 minutes, computer just freezes.

I also did what Halo suggested and as soon as it says its rebooting sutomatically, take out xp pro and let it reboot then eventually it will read from hard drive. It froze after 15 minutes again and all it said was verifying DMI Data...............................

So now what? I cannot install windows XP Pro at all. It will just go back to the original setup process every single time.

Everything seems 100% great in my MOBO and I have reset the CMOS ALSO.

Now whats the next step or what do you experts really think is wrong here?

Should I try a floppy boot up now? try installing windows 98se?

This is so frustrating because this is my first build and I think I am so close.

2. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

3. steve Max

steve Max Private First Class

Dang. I thought I would read a thread titled "HURRAY". I have never had that happen installing windows. Just out of curiousity what temps are you running. In your bios it should be under Pc health status. cpu temp, case temp etc. You have two sticks of ram in right? Take one out, just use one maybe see what happens, then stick the other one in by itself. grabbing straws now, sorry man, there is a wealth of knowledge here so someone must know. Keep us updated as we all learn from these things.

4. pmanning1969

32 c for cpu and 42 for system temp, is that o.k.?

Ram seems totally fine, same thing.

Should I install win98se if I can first then try to install xp pro on top of it?

This is really weird. What about trying to boot up from the Floppy disk? any different at all from cd rom?

A bad hard drive would cause this? :eek:

5. steve Max

This is the new drive you just bought right. Sure try 98 see what happens, unless someone else has any ideas

6. pmanning1969

actually, its an old drive. The new one wont be here until tuesday.

Maybe this is the problem? I tried another hard drive I had that I thought worked but it doesnt even recgonized at all by the MOBO.

How about those temps? o.k.?

I think its the hard drive. No way it can be the MOBO or CPU right?

7. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

8. steve Max

system temp warm but cpu temp is good. Well all I can say is that hopefully it is the drive. and when you get the new one in we will see a "HURRAY" post from you . LOL

9. pmanning1969

If winds up not being the new HDD, it couldnt be the MOBO or cpu could it? I have to get this fixed fast because newegg.com only allots you so much time before you cannot send it back.

Why would the system tem be that high? all I am doing is turning it on and testing it out and then shutting off. I dont have any fans in it either other than cpu, maybe thats why temp is a little higher than norm?

10. steve Max

ya, prob a couple of fans would bring that temp down. If your not getting the new drive till Tues. see if 98 will go on. Got nothing to loose.

11. pmanning1969

Windows 98se or 98 would not load at all. All kinds of error messages saying disk errors etc..

I am begining to believe its a bad hard drive. The other hard drive that I used to own seems dead. When I plug it in, the computer wont even recognize it at all.

I believe that both of these hard drives are plain bad so I do not know just yet if this is the problem but it certainly sounds like it might be.

I really appreciate your time and help Steve. I will let you know whats up when I get me new hard drive.

Hope you have a great Easter.

12. steve Max

good luck. happy easter to you as well. The next post that you make I hope you will be doing cartwheels you'll be so happy ! LOL

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds