Occasional boot-up issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LeoBloom., May 10, 2010.

1. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

Hi, I have a Dell XPS desktop and occasionally this comes up after the Dell boot-up/post screen:

[​IMG]

I've noticed that this only happens when the keyboard numlock key doesn't light up on the post screen. I've also disabled keyboard failure notifications because they used to come up instead of that screen, and tell me to press a key which I obviously couldn't.

I've plugged the keyboard usb cable into different usb ports but this error still occasionally pops up. Otherwise, the keyboard numlock light does light up most of the time and the keyboard functions perfectly in the Win XP environment.

I don't understand if this is a problem with the keyboard or the motherboard or what?

Any help is appreciated

-Leo

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2010
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

At first I would have asked if you have ever dual booted two operating systems on that PC? but where you only notice this with the keyboard light not lighting up, it is possible to be a driver, motherboard or the keyboard.

Do you have another keyboard to test with, if you do and this doesnt continue then you have ruled in the keyboard as the potential issue, if it still happens, then you know its not the keyboard.

Next would be to update the Chipset driver, which should cover the USB (dependant on motherboard make and model), but once the chipset driver is installed and you have rebooted, you would need to delete the USB controller driver that the keyboard is plugged into and would to find what controller its plugged into, is to open Device Manager and the USB Controller branch and open the properties up to the USB Hubs and click Advanced tab and see what one lists a keyboard, then right click that driver and choose uninstall, then reboot.

At times if your PC is an old one, the motherboard battery can get old and run out of power, so replacing it can fix random boot issues.

Would need to know what model Dell XPS you have to suggest drivers and maybe any other potential fixes.

3. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

Yes, I tried to double boot linux and xp with grub and had easybsd in the mix but that didn't work out too well, but eventually I removed it and rewrote the MBR. Normally, I never get a screen asking me whether I want to launch XP.

I don't have another keyboard to test, so I went ahead and reinstalled the driver for the chipset (it was the same version) and uninstalled the USB controller. We'll see if the computer starts acting up again

It is a Dell XPS 720

Thanks for replying

4. LeoBloom.

LeoBloom. Private E-2

Ok, so I don't seem to have any booting issues right after the POST screen. However, two times now since my last post on the 11th, the computer has froze completely just a few seconds - minutes after loading the windows XP desktop. Hard drive activity (the hd sounds) stops and the mouse cannot be moved either. Someone had suggested before that the computer may be overheating, but the computer had not been on before that, and the room isn't all that hot. This has been happening before aswell, when I was dealing with the POST bootup errors.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds