ocing athlon 2400

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by champagne supernova, Dec 23, 2004.

1. champagne supernova

champagne supernova Private E-2

hi. i've never overclocked but i wanna make my amd athlon 2400 a little faster. any help would be much appreciated, i have no idea what im doing.

2. Anon-15281db623

Anon-15281db623 Anonymized

My first advice would be to read this entire section on overclocking. overclocking is nothing to be taken lightly. You can do serious damage to ur entire computer. On the bright side if you do it correctly and safely overclocking is awesome!

I had a 2400+

It ran stock at 2.0ghz, i overclocked it to 2.4 ghz by upping the FSB, and adding voltage. Remember with this cpu Cooling Cooling Colling. It threw off some heat. I had 7 case fans, and a thermaltake volcano 10 at full rpm w/ arctic silver 3 and it still ran hot!

Please read read read. Read this forum, and do research on the net. OCing is complacted, and you could really screw something up.

:cool:

cooked

3. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

We could give you better help if we had some computer specs. You can use Everest to get all the info you need. Things like Motherboard, CPU ( Processor ), Memory ( type & speed ), Video Card & OS ( Operating System ).

Overclocking is completely "trial & error". As Overcooked stated...it can be fun, but at the same time you can destroy an otherwise good CPU. There are alot of things to take into account. I would suggest doing a Google search for Overclocking. There is a ton of information about it all over the web.

Best of luck to yas.

4. champagne supernova

ok thanks guys. i downloaded everest and here are my cpu specs :
    speed is around 1998 mhz
    fbs is 133
    multiplier is 15X
    cpu alias is thoroughbred-b
    ok, so what your saying is im gonna need a bigger fan? i've only got the one that came with my computer. also, ive read some things on ocing ive learned alot but i still can't access my bios to change multiplier (if that even makes sense :\). and no site i've seen has told me how, just the dangers and you gotta know what your doing.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2004
  5. champagne supernova

it won't let me edit my post again. ive got another question. how hot is too hot for my computer? this is how hot its running(i'm only running ie and everest:

Motherboard 21 °C (70 °F)
    CPU 48 °C (118 °F)
    Maxtor 6Y120P0 18 °C (64 °F)

thanks.

6. Anon-15281db623

Well not just a bigger fan, but a better heat sink all together. The stock HSF (Heat sink fan) is just aluminum w/ a small 60mm fan on it. I upgraded to a full copper HSF with a 80mm fan spinning around 6000rpm max. I also added two strong case fans to the front of the case, and two to the back. Two in my power supply, and one at the top for exhaust. They are all hooked up to a fan controler so when im not playing games it is quite as can be.

Then ur going to need a good thermal compound. I us Arctic Silver 3. Its easer to apply then AS5.

To get to ur bios you usually have to hold down a key at start up. Usually F1, Delete, ect. Check ur motherboards manufactors website for a manuel. It would say in there.

Now you Anthlon chip is locked. AMD did this to prevent people from changing the multiplier. So you will not be able to change it. Unless you did some mods which require sodering some bridges on the chip, but that is very dangerious, and you could really screw something up there!

So ur only option for overclocking would be to up the FSB (Front Side Bus). To do that you will have to check and see if your bios will permit that and then slowly raise and check, raise and check. (trial and error) Upping the FSB also effects the way everything else acts as well. You should have name brand memory (crucial, kingston, ocz, ect) Rated at PC3200 for best performance. I had PC2100 memory at first and i could not get the FSB high at all.

Next you will have to see if your mother board will let you change voltages. I had to add voltage to the cpu, and a little to the ram to get it to boot stable at 2.4Ghz.

Your temp seems a little high for minimal programs running. I had mine at 32C idel before the overclock. Yours is most likely high because u only have the stock hsf, and no case fans. (i assume)

Remember read read read! Take it slow, and dont skimp out on anything! One mistake and you could really mess up, not just you cpu, but ur whole system too. Everything could be at risk.

Good luck

cooked

7. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

I would say your temps are fine for a stock Heatsink/fan combo. I say this because your Motherboard & HardDrive temps are fine, but the CPU is a bit hot.

Alot of things will effect your temps.
    Case Placement ~ Inside a desk or close to a heat source.
    Ambient room temp.
    Dust Bunnies. ;)

Like I said.....your temps seem ok, other than the CPU temp, which I believe is because of the Stock HS/Fan.

8. champagne supernova

ok thanks guys. i found some good articles and guides on overclocking and i learned ALOT. im just gonna wait because i need alot more fans. i think i only have two in my case. well, ive got another question for you. are these temps too cold? :
    motherboard 13c
    cpu 15c
    harddrive 1c
    these were my temps right after i took it out of standby this morning. im guessing they should be higher.(i don't have any insulation in my room, so it can get pretty cold)
    thanks

9. champagne supernova

just thought of another questoin :D.
    if i wanted to get pc3200 ram, would i have to take out my pc2100 ram, or get a new mobo altogether? ive got 2(max for my mobo) sticks of ram, 128mb andn 512mb, and i wanna know if i can take out the 128 and put in a pc3200 dimm of 512mb. thanks again

10. 50cal

50cal Private First Class

you can never have to cold of temps

those temps are motherboard 55F
    cpu 59F
    harddrive 33F

but DAMN thats cool for parts in a pc

i would love to have those temps [whats your room temps] my temps are in my sig thats what they usely stay at

i dont realy overclock my box to much[just the 5700U] but i took about 2weeks of tweaking to get that high the 525/1100

but if this is so that you get a faster pc then you could get a amd 3000+ barton core for about 100 bucks [OEM] and then the ram [PC2700] is about 80-90 for 512 [i got a 1 gig stick for 214 at http://www.tigerdirect.com/ [so not trying to change the topic [just wanted him to know i mean heis looking at buying stuff any way]

50cal

11. 50cal

depends on what the FSB of your MOBO

pc2100 - 266 FSB [1800- 2400 on amds]

pc2700 - 333 FSB [2500-3000+ on amds]

pc3200 - 400 FSB [3000-3400+ on amds]

if you mobo is only 266 or 333 then you may have atimeget the most out of the 3200 ram

12. champagne supernova

ok thanks. i don't have the cash to upgrade right now so ill probably just get some more fans and oc . thanks again.

13. Anon-15281db623

I also wanted to say that the 2400 is still a good chip. I dont think that there is a game out there that needs something more powerfull. If you dont have the finincial backing to buy a new processor incase you break this one, then i would hold off on the overclocking. The performance gain right now wouldnt be worth it, as i found out with mine. If you are into gaming then check out overclocking your video card. That would give you the most boost in that area. ;)

cooked

14. 50cal

yea whats your ghx card?

15. champagne supernova

ok cool. yeah, that's all i wantd the speed for is gaming. im thinking of geting cs:source, but it wasn't mucn fun when i tried the beta b/c i only got like 50 fps max. but ill look into ocing my card. it's an ATI Radeon 9200 SE with 128mb memory and that's pretty much all i know about it. i should learn more about them. im waondering will i have to worry about my card over heating if i oc it? thanks for the help
    PS: overcooked, my cpu operates at 2.0 ghz, and for cs:source suggested speed to play is 2.4ghz. but like you said, the extra performance probably isn't worth the risk.

16. 50cal

oyea it will do that very easy your pc is good i wouldnt oc it if i were you

better safe then sorry

yes it runs at 2.0 but is a amd and there clock that way it does run at 2400 its just the clock speed is only 2.0

50cal

17. Anon-15281db623

Well your video card is really low end right now. I don't know how much of a performance boost you will get, but i would imagine it couldn't be a whole lot. If you really want to play games at there fullest i would suggest a new card. The 6600GT would be the one i would get. It is only a hair slower then the $300 6800, and $100 bucks cheaper. So for $200 you could have a nice card.

If you decide to go OC your current video card. There are some programs out there, like RiviaTuner, that would make it very easy. You will need to upgrade you cooling as well. Get ram sinks for both sides of the ram, and then a cooler along the lines of the Arctic silencer.

Um CS: Source will run on i believe 1.4Ghz Pentium 4 processor. It is recommended to run on a 2.4Ghz processor for maximum performance. Your processor, the 2400, is rated so that its performance is equal to that of a processor running at 2.4Ghz. So you do meet the recommended specs for that like 50Cal said.

cooked

18. champagne supernova

sweet i didn't know that. thanks for all your help guys. i guess i'll wait until i get some fans and maye a little cash for a videocard upgrade. :D

19. Fle@B@gL@ne

Fle@B@gL@ne Private E-2

Just think like this XP by AMD is INTEL P4 both 32bit and use the x86.

But now AMD has gone 64bit and even without 64bit OS just in 32bit O/S in alot of things the 64bit is anywhere from 4 percent to 24 percent faster.

I had a XP2600@2338 2GB Corsair XMS PC2700 2-2-2-6-1t 6800GT oced 430/1140

Now

64bit FX53 2GB Corsair XMS PRO 4000 same video 6800gt lowered ocing to 410/1110 and

I went up 1300-1500 in 3D mark 03 and 05 537 only .

AMD RULEZ

20. DANZO

DANZO Private E-2

My 2400XP at first wouldn't overclock that much because of the stock cooler i was using but then i got a thermaltake smartcase fan2 and a nice new heatsink and bumped my 2400 up to 2.7ghz at 1.85vcore (181x15multi is locked) and my temps stayed at a nice 33c idle and 45c underload.So basically get a really nice fan and a decent heatsink.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds