Odd Boot Behavior

Discussion in 'Software' started by PWag, Dec 10, 2008.

1. PWag

PWag Private E-2

We recently shipped a Win XP machine to a branch office of our firm that was fine when it left, but immediately upon receipt, the users report the following boot behavior:

Upon a cold boot, the POST is fine, the Windows XP (SP3) splash screen is displayed, but the system hangs and never completes the Windows boot cycle. They force a power down (from power supply), and the next boot(s), both cold and warm, proceed normally, with no errors. The next day, this sequence is repeated.

I am trying to troubleshoot the problem, and hopefully resolve it without having to ship the box back to us (cross country). I appreciate any thoughts re how to proceed.

PWag

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sounds initially like a PSU failure, as one of my office PCs did similar, from cold boot I could take 4 or 5 goes to boot it, if it did boot and then you restart it worked fine, swapped out PSU and bingo!

Possibly mobo battery, depending on how old PC.. may need changing.

Could have them swap out a known good PSU to test then mobo battery.

If shipped across country, then possability is a loose component, so get someone to open it up and check all connections are firm.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds