Office 2003 vs 2007

Discussion in 'Software' started by AdamR78, Aug 10, 2006.

1. AdamR78

AdamR78 Private E-2

Howdy,

maybe someone knows about this stuff. My employers would like to see a comparison between Office 2003 and office 2007 (beyond office 2007 is shinier)... does anyone know of any website which does a side-by-side comparison of the two, features, enchancements, whatnot? I don't want the official MS one, as it's all MS hype :)

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. AdamR78

AdamR78 Private E-2

I am well aware that Office 2k7 is still in beta, so comparisons wouldn't be fair. However, the office is still stuck on Office 2000, and it's time for upgrading it - we can take two routes:
    1) Go to Office 2k3
    2) Wait and go for 2k7 when it's finally released

My feelings, however, are mixed. Office 2k3 is more proven, has had a lot of the bugs patched. 2k7 is unproven, we don't know how stable it will be, or how buggy, however, the new user interface appaers to be more intuitive. And is there any point in upgrading to a version that will be last generation in a few months?
    The problem is, with time, as more and more companies pick up 2k7, and if we go to 2k3, we may have problems opening the new file format (unless they save backward compatible version, which won't be the default). This could be avoided should MS release a converter for 2k3...

A.

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Personally I won't be even thinking of depl0ying vista or office 2007 at work until it hits SP1 at least.

5. AdamR78

AdamR78 Private E-2

Funny, with Vista, I have no doubts that it'll be 2008 before I start deployment. By that time (if it actually gets delivered in 2007... who knows) hopefully SP1 will have been released. Although, having beta tested Vista... i am not that impressed.

But with office, i am somehow less worried about waiting for an SP pack. Can't explain why though.

6. DavidGP

Office 2007 does open all older MS Office saved doc formats ok, well all of the ones I have on my PCs, so couldnt vouch for all of them, as for vice versa and office 2007 new .docx, xlsx ( for Excel ) files opening in previous Office versions you are completly correct at this time, you need to download an addon Compatibility Pack http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/beta/converter.mspx

Only thing is Office 2007 shipping date is starting to mirror Vista and slipped from October 06 to possible Feb07 to match Vista.

Have to agree with you the interface is more intuitive and actually after a few days suits me better than hunting around for options, while in 07 they are mostly icons in the ribbon menu.

Templates or new ones from MS are much easier to download in O7, from a menu listing catagorising various types.

Do you or the company have the Beta Office 2007 to test out on spare PC for in-house testing, may give you all a feel for this version and wether you wish to wait?

Still available to test iirc http://www.microsoft.com/office/preview/beta/getthebeta.mspx

I have it on test PC and its working fine, some features are not complete so its not advisable to install on production PC or to use to create important docs but its pretty good.

7. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

<!-- removed: halo types faster and covered my points -->

8. AdamR78

AdamR78 Private E-2

Am downloading beta now. Had beta 1 before, but that was for personal fun, whereas this time, it's for my employers...

Having said that, MS have hit the nail on the head - charge people for downloading and testing beta software. 1.20 isn't much, but i wonder how many people bought it... I wonder if i can get that 1.20 back later as a discount on the final release...

9. DavidGP

OH forgot they went to charging.. I got it when it was free, think they got hammered on the Vista Beta2 CTP downloads, which prompted this I feel.

Neglected to mention I have installed the Compatability Pack for Office and it works well with my Office 2003 but it only covers Office XP and 2003, no mention of Office 2000 being able to install this pack sadly.

an addendum: I read that in the final release backwards compatability will be included for all the way down to Office 2000, that does shut out office 97 users.... link is this but its down at present ( from Brian Jones MS Office Program Manager ) http://blogs.msdn.com/brian_jones/archive/2006/05/23/605421.aspx

Last edited: Aug 10, 2006

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds