Office 2007 "on top of" Office 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by FighterJetMom, Dec 6, 2008.

1. FighterJetMom

FighterJetMom Private First Class

I have a machine (win XP SP3 OS) with Office 2007 installed, but also with Office 2003 installed with all patches up to the intallation of Office 2007. I couldn't get rid of the Office 2003 install when I put Office 2007 on the machine.

Office 2003 doesn't seem to be doing any harm, in particular, at the moment, but it takes up a lot of space on the HD, and in general I don't like the concept of having 2 versions of Office duking it out on this machine.

Have tried (obviously) using the Install/Uninstall Programs option through the XP control panel. Have tried (only slightly less obviously), downloading the Uninstaller Tool from MS, but it says it is not to be used in uninstalling Office.

I can't use the original disks from MS because the software was patched and so the uninstaller on the CD says "not the same version."

Other than ignoring this problem (always an option for me :cool), are there any other next steps I can take to uproot this outdated software? I'd rather get rid of it if I can.

Gratefully

FJM

2. Rimka

Rimka Private E-2

What happens when you try to uninstall? Does it give you an error message of any sort? Does it just not allow you to uninstall?

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As well as answering the great question above as that may hold a clue as if Office 2003 is listed in Add/remove it should actually remove Office and leave Office 2007 alone.

You maybe best to uninstall both versions and then cleanup with Ccleaner and re-install Office 2007 again.

But you could try this Uninstaller to see if it will remove Office 2003 first for you, Revo Uninstaller

or if you have the Office 2003 CD still try this, click Start > Run and type X:\setup.exe /x pro11n.msi /qb (X needs to be changed for the drive letter of your CD drive with the Office CD in it )

4. FighterJetMom

"This patch package could not be opened. Verify that the patch package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vender to verify that this is a valid Windows Intallation patch package."

FJM

5. FighterJetMom

See my original message. Office 2003 is listed in Add/Remove, but Add/Remove will not remove it.

If I am unable to remove *one* of them, logically, how am I supposed to remove *both*?

I may have the CD but I expect I will run into the same problem with the unremovable downloadable security patch.

I will try Revo, thanks.

FJM

6. FighterJetMom

Update: Revo did not work to remove Office 2003, although it did finally kill a few other things I've been trying to get rid of <VBG>.

Also, when I look in Revo, I see that there is supposedly a program called "BOGUS" that I have never heard of before, and I certainly don't like the sound of THAT. Should I start a thread in Malware Removal??

7. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Sorry should have worded part differently as was more speaking aloud in that at some point you "may" need to remove both.

CD route with Office 2003 switch X:\setup.exe /x pro11n.msi /qb should in theory work as its seperate installer file than whats likely on your PC, should also be able to insert the Office 2007 CD/DVD and use setup again as it gives option to repair, add/remove and uninstall that office version, may be same with Office 2003 CDs setup but I dont have Office 2003 installed to test with.

Could also try one of the Office 2003 resource kit tools.

Get the Office 2003 resource kit toolbox (ork.exe) and install, either in the Resource Kit folder on the CD or download from here

To locate the tool, click the Start button > Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office Resource Kit, and then click Removal Wizard.

Possability is that you have a broken Windows Installer file, but the mention of malware remonds me do you have any active threads in our malware forum for this PC as that could also be the cause of not being able to uninstall, until cleaned up.

8. FighterJetMom

OK got it now. ;) Removing Office 2007 no problem. Office 2003 remains remarkably resistant to my attempts to remove it.

In theory yes, in practice choked and gave me the same message quoted above about a patch.

Fortunately, because my efforts with Office 2003 CD and the ORK broke Office 2007, but I was able to repare with the Office 2007 disc.

Could also try one of the Office 2003 resource kit tools.

Get the Office 2003 resource kit toolbox (ork.exe) and install, either in the Resource Kit folder on the CD or download from here

To locate the tool, click the Start button > Programs > Microsoft Office > Microsoft Office Tools > Microsoft Office Resource Kit, and then click Removal Wizard.

Possability is that you have a broken Windows Installer file, but the mention of malware remonds me do you have any active threads in our malware forum for this PC as that could also be the cause of not being able to uninstall, until cleaned up.[/QUOTE]

Seems very likely that I have a broken Windows Installer file because I have noticed a presumptively unrelated problem with MS Update attempting to install MS.net 2.0 SP 1 over and over again on my machine without success.

Just checked with Windows Update and it offered the MS.net update again, plus several updates to Office 2003.

I do not have an active thread regarding this machine in the malware removal section. This machine has had some spyware in the past but its logs are clean AFAICT.

Thanks for your assistance so far...

FJM

9. FighterJetMom

Another update:

I ran "Windows Install Cleanup" another time to remove Office 2003 and poof! it is now gone from my machine. I have no idea why this worked but I speculate that running the other tools repaired a broken file??

I still have my little problem with .net trying to install endlessly, but that's for another thread someday.

Puzzled, but content,

FJM

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

11. FighterJetMom

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds