Office 2007 Pro will not install

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bill E, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

I had Office 2000 Pro on my desk top computer, went to Ireland for a month, wifes cousin was on holidays from Ireland and looked after the office for us.

She had a problem of some kind with Office and decided to remove and reinstall for some reason, my son couldn't find the original disks and the cousins boyfriend installed a copy of Office 2007 Enterprise on the computer thinking he was doing a good thing but it wasn't a legal copy, after a couple of weeks I got a MS message that it wasn't a legal copy, so I uninstalled it.

Decided against re-installing 2000 Pro because I was getting used to 2007 look and feel so bought Office 2007 Pro.

The copy I bought ebay was fully sealed, contained 2 x CD's but when I insert disk 1 autorun doesn't run so the install doesn't even start.

Any advice would be appreciated...thanks in advance.

2. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

The copy I bought on ebay was fully sealed, contained 2 x CD's each with the Microsoft Hologram and the getting started book, it is not an academic or student version and has "licenced for noncommercial use up to 3 personal computers" printed on the back and has the product key and the Microsoft Certificate of Authenticity sticker.

When I insert disk1 autorun doesn't run so the install doesn't even start.

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

If you click "start/computer"and then double click on the DVD RW drive (normally E) then scroll through the files until you see Äutorun or Application exe and double click that it should start.

It just seems that your DVD RW is not picking up the autorun?

4. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

THanks for the reply..

If I put a disc into the CD drive D: i.e. the Windows XP Pro original disc, Autorun finds the disc straight away.

Doesn't appear to be a file named "Install" or "Setup" on the disc at all.

This is off Notepad – Autorun the Disc1 on Office Pro 2007.

[autorun]
    OPEN=Autorun.exe
    ICON=Autorun.exe,0

shell\configure=&Configure...
    shell\configure\command=Autorun.exe.EXE

shell\install=&Install...
    shell\install\command=Autorun.exe.EXE

If I try to run Autorun from the disc1 I get a small pale blue box 125mm square open with a message like "Please wait while setup prepairs the nessesary files" or similar, after perhaps 10 minutes this message appears in a box on the screen.

Setup Error

Setup cannot continue because a required file is either corrupted or not available. Run setup again from the original source disc or download location.

Does this help?

5. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

just a quick question, what happens when you put the second disk in..

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

When you open and explore the CD what files and folders are present?

In all the versions of Office 2007 and I have all of them a Setup.exe is present in the main root of the CD, but try opening one of the Office apps folders or the Office.en_us folder if availabe and double clicking the MUI file or setup if listed.

Just in case that the previosu Office install caused issues make sure in Add/remove that no Office versions are listed, then run CCleaner to clear all temps etc and then run its Registry cleaner a few times until nothing is found, then run the Windows Cleanup tool and remove any references to Office only.

then try installing Office again.

7. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

Nothing:(

8. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

On the CD ther is the following folders/files;

(1) Access.en-us
    (2) Admin
    (3) Catalog
    (4) Excel.en-us
    (5) Infopath.en.us
    (6) Office64.en-us
    (7) Office.en-64
    (8) Outlook.en-us
    (9) PowerPoint.en-us
    (10) Proofing.en-us
    (11) ProPlus.WW
    (12) Publisher.en-us
    (13) Rosebud.en-us
    (14) Updates
    (15) Word.en-us
    Autorun
    Autorun
    README

In the Office.en-us folder there is a file OfficeMUI which appears to be the installer but....

I get a message - ERROR 1713 Setup cannot install one of the required products for Microsoft Office shared MUI (English) 2007.

I really appreciate you patience, does any of this help in any way, don't hesitate to ask for more info.

9. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

could there be a problem with the disk itself. I know you said you got it off ebay sealed, but stranger things have happened.

How about putting it on another computer see if it runs but DO NOT ENTER THE SERIAL NUMBER

10. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

That's a thought...I will go to one of my sons to see if it runs and come back with the result.

There have been times in my life that I've felt like I'm a "Strange Things" magnet, so I discount nothing.

11. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

OK just back from trying it in another computer and it started up like it should.

So any suggestions is there a way to find whatever files ar missing and install them??

12. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Bill E

So on the other PC the setup started like it should and brought up the install window?

If so then just a few other questions and thoughts......

What Windows version and Service Pack are you using? (right click Computer/My Computer and Properties or from a Run command line type winver will tell you this info) and is it fully upto date with all updates etc

I would run the other things I mentioned earlier in Windows Installer Removal tool and ccleaner to get rid of any previous installer files that could block this install.

Depending on what security applications you have I would disable them while trying to install office in case one of them is blocking the installer.

13. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

Switched off Zone Alarm and NOD32 Antivirus and Win fire wall is off.

14. Bill E

Bill E Private E-2

OK thanks for all the input even tried the disc on another couple of computer fired up every time, tried all the microsoft help options didn't make a bit of difference so on a hunch I bought another DVD RW and problem is fixed.

Bit strange but I think the Office 2007 Pro disc1 is a bit dodgy because every other disc in the office that was tried in the old drive (approx 25) all fired up.

Thanks again.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2009
  15. pl8thed

pl8thed Private E-2

I noticed that there was a setup.exe in the parent directory one level up from the MUI files you mentioned. I was also getting error 1713 - ran that setup and all went as expected.
    rolleyes

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds