Office Assistant changes into a different character by itself

Discussion in 'Software' started by NAS, Apr 17, 2006.

1. NAS

NAS Private E-2

My computer has been reformatted twice recently. The engineer did not download Office updates, missed a critical Windows update, and did not notice that Windows Firewall was not turned on. I found out 3 days after being online.

After a few days, Office wasn't working properly, and I couldn't call up files from Most Recent Documents. The Office Assistant changed from the cat to the dog. The "Dial-up Connection" box appears at startup, even though I changed to "never dial a connection" but it still appears. MSN also insists on popping up incessantly.

I ran Norton AntiVirus, Pest Patrol, SpyBot, AdAware, Windows Defender, Panda Free scan, Stinger, MS AntiSpyware, and SpyCatcher, but found no viruses, only cookies which I deleted. I ran them again under "safe mode" with the same result.

Should I opt for another reformatting/reinstallation, this time making sure the engineer downloads all updates as promised, or is there another way to fix various problems?

2. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

If it were ME I'd make make him drag his sorry butt back and DO IT RIGHT!
    ....but that's ME.
    :D

3. NAS

NAS Private E-2

Is it possible that the downloads, which I did on a 56k dial-up connection, might have been corrupted, and that downloading by broadband would be more accurate? (That is his assessment.) Harwdare checks out as OK. You're right, he should take it back & redo it. I wonder if I'm looking at early stages of needing a new computer?

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Heh... I wouldn't be so quick to think that a software bug is indicative of harware wear.

Also downloads on dial up should be as "accurate" as broadband, but high-speed would definitely soothe the pain of having to download them all again.

You haven't made any mention of trying an Office Repair Installation, so I would recommend you try that! Its almost the same as performing a new installation, and has fixed many office bugs that I've encountered. Slap the office CD back in and see how she goes!

5. NAS

NAS Private E-2

Thanks, that's a great idea :)
    I'm going to do that right now.

6. NAS

NAS Private E-2

The Ofice Repair is complete. I opened an EXCEL file, which
    has autocomplete "on." That is not working consistently.
    The Office Assistant changed back to my selection in EXCEL,
    but not in "Search."

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds