Office Suites.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Mar 21, 2017.

?

Which Office Suite do you use?

1. Microsoft Office

54.5%
  2. Lotus SmartSuite

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. WordPerfect Office

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Apache OpenOffice

18.2%
  5. LibreOffice

36.4%
  6. WPS Office

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I haven't used Ashampoo Office, but having used MS Office for years, I then moved to OpenOffice and when that was discontinued (though it 'became' Apache OpenOffice) I moved to LibreOffice which I find excellent. It has more features than Ashampoo Office and is tried and tested.
    I do have Oxygen Office Professional (which is free) on one system and it's really no different to Apache or Libre.

3. Eldon

I remember OxygenOffice Professional - it was previously known as OpenOffice Premium. It hasn't been updated in 7 years.

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes I'd forgotten about it on one of my systems, I'll probably replace it with LibreOffice as that's updated very regularly.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I run Libre Office Portable on a few computers. I'm happy with it.

6. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Still using MS Office Pro 2007, a relic from my working days, but I'd probably be OK just using Wordpad these days.

7. Eldon

Earthling, I thought you use MSO 2007 Enterprise?

8. Earthling

You're dead right Eldon. Shows how much interest I have in it nowadays.

Eldon likes this.
  9. ownthree

ownthree Corporal

I use MS Office 2016. I was using a different version before and only upgraded to the 2016 one last January.

10. Eldon

FYI I use MSO 2003 Professional (WinXP) and MSO 2007 Enterprise (Win7).
    For MSO 2003 I installed the Compatibility Pack for the 2007 Office system which allows the newer formats introduced in MSO 2007 to be opened, edited & saved.

11. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I should have picked more than one. I voted without reading more than one answer possible. Sorry.
    1. WordPerfect 8 (husband's old XP desktop off the grid)
    2. WordPerfect X6 (husband's Win 7 desktop)
    3. Office 2000, I think Pro. (husband's XP)
    4. Office 2003 (husband's Win 7 desktop)
    4. Office 2007 Home and School edition (my XP desktop) I have 3 licenses but he didn't like it so I had to remove it from his Win 7 desktop.
    5. LibreOffice (my Win 7 desktop and netbook and huband's Win 7 netbook)

I also installed viewers so docx and xlsx files could be seen.

12. Eldon

13. beezneez

beezneez Corporal

Do any of these free programs have the ability to sort lists by Alphabetical order? I can't find my Office 2003 disk to install on my new PC but all I want is a program that will allow me to list all my books and authors and then sort them. I have so many I want to be able to amend the list when another book pops up in my library. I am pretty sure Wordpad did this in Windows 7 but if it does it in Windows 10 I can't see how. I have downloaded Libre Office but can't see the option I need. Same with Apache

14. Earthling

Spreadsheets are better for your requirements rather than document creation software. MS Office or LibreOffice would do just fine.

15. Earthling

Just to clarify, MS Office Excel or LibreOffice Calc will do what you require

li re

16. Eldon

Update:
    I have installed Ashampoo Office Free and was a little disappointed in the UI. I'm familiar with the publisher's other software and this looks old. But it should fulfill the needs of most. It has full support for the old & new MS Office formats, and has a great PDF export function. Also, it supports creating fillable PDF forms.

TM_Bar.jpg

TM_Formats.jpg

TM_PDF.jpg

FWIW
    This office suite is the same as SoftMaker FreeOffice which does not support exporting the newer MSO formats.

17. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Tried Ashampoo office, and Open Office (Apache) - Not overly impressed when comparing to MS office 2010.
    I find MS 2010 does all I need -- with compatibility packs, and it is most adequate. That version was worth the outlay. has publisher, and Word program is as good as any for making documents, with pictures, write-ups etc: later one,
    Like -everyone, I have not updated to any as I feel aggrieved at having to pay for it, then pay an annual fee ,as well- to me that is a rip off.
    MS Ofice is an expensive program to my mind, and all those free versions are worth trying for anyone who has not got a working office program- most seem to have compatibility ability, as Eldon has shown.
    When I was working for myself, I found I could, and did, make my own workers payslips, tax , and N.I deductions, and Vat in one book that worked as good as Sage, in those days- using cross calculation, copy, paste special, paste link, and creating the correct computation to deduct the Tax, and N.I, and print out my Vat in a copy of the proper form , all with Excel-- Included my invoices and payments received.
    I found that difficult in a free program, so I stick with MS Office 2010.

18. Eldon

MS Office is the Rolls-Royce of office suites.
    But, millions of users all over the world can't afford it.
    I am grateful for having both MSO 2003 Professional (WinXP) & 2007 Enterprise (Win7).

Ashampoo Office Free:
    I opened documents, spreadsheets & presentations (old & new formats) in Ashampoo Office Free and everything displayed perfectly.

WPS Office:
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/wps_office.html
    This office suite supports both the older toolbar and newer ribbon UIs. Opening both old & new formats everything displayed correctly.
    But, Writer's spelling checker doesn't ignore errors, and slide shows start a few seconds into the show.

Thankfully, users are no longer limited to OpenOffice.org when looking for a adequate office suite. :)

19. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

OpenOffice stopped development many many years ago. For a time OxygenOffice was available but the leader of the office suite pack - which has been available for over six years - is Libre Office which is by far the best free alternative to MS Office and has been that for years. No one has been limited to OO at all.

20. Eldon

I meant years ago when there was no alternative.
    I'm quite familiar with the history of OpenOffice.org > Oracle Open Office > Apache OpenOffice.

21. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Well yes there has been an interoperable alternative to MS Office for 17 years to date.

22. theefool

theefool Geekified

Sigh, home I use what is build in. At work Office 2010 :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds