old compaq hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by buck527, Jun 17, 2008.

1. buck527

buck527 Private E-2

My daughter has an old compaq computer{386}I think. Had windows 98 as operating system.Hard drive wore out. Bought another Maxtor hard drive but cannot get computer to recognize hard installed. keeps saying there is no hard drive. Anybody have any idea how to fix this? Thanks

2. Trussman

Trussman Private First Class

What model # is the Compaq. Did you format it after install using the disc or format floppy that came with the hard drive. Sometimes on the older systems, Windows 98 won't recognize the NTFS file system only fat16 or fat32 file system. If you format in NTFS, that might be your problem, also the HDD usually only reads up to 32 GB, of the HDD in these older systems

Hope this gives you something to go on

Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  3. buck527

buck527 Private E-2

It is a 10 gig harddrive. I bought it used and installed windows 98 on it before I sent it to my daughter. It just says no harddrive found.

4. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

Is the drive recognised by the bios?

Just for clarity, the new HDD (Maxtor) which you say is not being recognised is 10Gb. It's just that I don't think they make new 10Gb 2.5" drives nowadays.

Cheers

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds