Old Gateway Audio driver issue

Discussion in 'Software' started by GrampaBob, Aug 29, 2010.

1. GrampaBob

GrampaBob Private E-2

Hi. I bought an older used desktop for the kiddies and there is no audio. It has been loaded with XP sp3 and updated as far as I know. There is a question mark with exclamation in teh device manager for multimedia audio controller.

I went to the gateway site and put in my serial number but the model isn't there. After looking thru some forums here and did get SoundMAX Cadenza file wdm3516b_Cadenza but it doesn't complete the install as it states driver not found reboot. I also uninstalled the controller and rebooted and tried to point the found hardware wizard to the various folders I unzipped to manually but nothing has worked.

I also tried soundmax5240 file that came in a set with other stuff and that didn't work from mpc website.

Thnx for helping. My S/N is 0030003654 and its gateway ESX E4000.

AC'97 Audio Controller:
    Audio Controller Type Intel ICH4
    Codec Name Analog Devices AD1981A
    Codec ID 41445372h
    S/PDIF Output Not Supported
    Analog Devices AD1981A @ Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0] PCI

Attached Files:

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings, GrandpaBob...

Check out this page: select your OS, and you should be presented with a list of drivers for your motherboard...I would make sure you've completely uninstalled all old drivers before applying the new software...

3. GrampaBob

GrampaBob Private E-2

Hi. That's one of the first places I went to and got the first AC97 file they have listed there (wdm3516b_Cadenza.exe) because it covers mutli-models and it didn't install successfully. I also thought that was teh one I needed.

4. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Couple of quickies: get into BIOS, make sure everything audio is kosher...you might also download all of the drivers for your board, especially chipset, and uninstall/reinstall everything - a faulty or wrong chipset install can often produce onboard audio problems...

I know what my next step would be if those don't work: grab a cheap PCI audio card and install it - very easy to do, especially with the help here - that way, you can satisfy the grandkids, and explore the onboard problem at your leisure...

Keep us posted...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds