Old Harddrive New Computer No Operating System

Discussion in 'Software' started by RE2LeonS, Aug 24, 2009.

1. RE2LeonS

RE2LeonS Private First Class

My father's notebook became a junker when my brother broke the LCD screen and I attempted and failed at soldering a new adapter port into the computer. So we've found a couple of the same computers that come with out a hard drive but it says it doesn't have an operating system. If I plug in the hard drive from the old computer and put it into a new computer, would I have to worry about an operating system? I always thought the operating systems were on the hard drive.

2. rosiesdad

rosiesdad Private E-2

IF its a xyz brand model 123 and you move the HD to the same big box computer and model nr it might work. But for any chance it has to be the same make/model.
    Not a sure thing, but worth a try. Worst case is you have to reinstall XP.

3. RE2LeonS

We found the same make/model computer as the broken one we have, the only difference is the new one doesn't have a Hard Drive or Operating system. So I'm asking if I take the hard drive from the broken computer and plug it into the new computer (same make and model) will I have to install an Operating System because in the desription it says there is no Operating System installed

Specifically I'm looking at this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Vaio-PCG-F...ov05?hash=item2ea744f994&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If the old PC thats broken has a working HDD and already had Windows on it and its exact model then should be no issue, BUT this is not always the case as many OEM PC makers dont have same hardware in a model even if its the same one, so be prepared that in case just popping in the working HDD in causes a BSOD with drivers or just doesnt fire up to re-install Windows from scratch.

5. RE2LeonS

Uh oh, is there a way I can check to see if the make and model does such a thing?

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If the HDD out of the broken PC is same type and its likely to be a 2.5" HDD, then it will plug into the replacement ok, its just a cross fingers time to if the already install OS actually fires up ok.

Lets see if I can explain this, ok... I have a Compaq and a ACER laptop, both like majority of laptops come with 2.5" size HDDs, so I could take the drive out of the Compaq and put it into the ACER, and it will work, what is not likely to work is that while the OS would be fine the differing hardware and drivers would likely cause the PC to error due to incompatible drivers, thus needing a clean install, at times the OS can find and replace the wrong drivers on boot but not always.

So if the broken laptop and the one your looking at are exact same model version then its positive for being able to just add that HDD and it "may" boot ok.

Info on changing HDD on that Sony model PCG-FRV31

7. RE2LeonS

Sweet thanks. Should I be skeptical thought because it says there is no hard drive caddy or hard drive adapter?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds