Old Java Versions

Discussion in 'Software' started by aravind, Apr 1, 2009.

1. aravind

aravind Private E-2

Hi, I have these two versions in my "Add or Remove Programs" list[ Java 6 update 7 & Java 6 update 13].I want to know whether I can remove the older one safely. Running Java Ra to remove older versions didn't help me.And also am not sure why this Java is on my computer.

2. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

Yes you can go ahead and uninstall the Java 6 update 7 and keep the 6.13 as that is the latest and most up to date. Why did you resort to trying to use javara to uninstall, were you/are you having trouble uninstalling via add/remove?

3. aravind

aravind Private E-2

Hi kestrel, Thank you. I just didn't try an uninstall from Add/Remove for I was not sure whether 6.7 is an older version or a different thing altogether. Anyway I'll remove it now from Add/Remove.

4. Kestrel13!

no problem :)

5. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

By the way, I believe you'll find you no longer accumulate multiple versions of Java when get future updates. I noticed when I got update 12 that it automatically removed the older version. This is a change from the way Java updates have worked in the past.

6. PapaDuke

PapaDuke Master Sergeant

I uninstall Java with Revo first, then install the new Java update. The Java uninstaller leaves way too many registry and file items.

7. Kestrel13!

Revo is rather powerful software to use for simple uninstallation of Java unless there's some kind of snag and it wont budge easy which is rare anyway. A method that suits you which is fair enough, but bear in mind for novices to resort to using REVO then something more than java could end up being removed. :(

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

aravind, it is also possible that even if you correctly went through add/remove software that the older versions of Java did not get completely removed.
    I also ran this tool http://majorgeeks.com/download5967.html
    which finds the things still left. Note, it is safe to use. It will not remove the 1.6 build 13 but only all the older things that it finds.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds