Old laptop won't factory reset?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LpEmoKid, Aug 6, 2012.

1. LpEmoKid

LpEmoKid Private E-2

Hello, so I'm trying to reset a old D600 Latitude laptop to sell to a friend who buys old lap tops then resells them. Anyways I figured I'd make some small cash, however when trying to factory reset the lap top it doesn't work. I googled on how to factory reset some sites told me to hold ctrl and f11 when I did that all I heard was a beep then it goes to the window loading screen. Some sites told me f8 gave me no option to system restore. Anyways any help guys, my os is currently win xp.

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Looking at Dell's manual I don't think that computer came with a factory recovery partition. It seems to have come with an OS disk to reinstall Windows.

You can verify that by going to Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Computer Management> and then select Disk Management in the left pane.

It will give you a window with a graph of the partitions on you HD. A recovery partition would be about 6-10gb. Do you see anything like that?

Edit: You'll probably have a tiny 7MB partition for Dell Diagnostics but that isn't it.

3. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

The D600 is of an age when it should have used the Dell PC Restore by Symantec - if it was offered that way (maybe not if it had the smallest HDD - 20GB?) and if it hasn't been wiped/restored previously (or a new HDD fitted) using the Recovery CD.

If the hidden partition is still there, it's likely to be in the region of ~1-3GB and CTRL +F11 should enable access to it. I think it only takes a fixboot/fixMBR to break the link back to the partition though :(

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds