Older Acer laptop won't log onto wireless network

Discussion in 'Software' started by kjhansen56, Mar 22, 2012.

1. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

Computer: Acer Aspire 4520, OS Windows Vista Home Premium
    Issue: The laptop was logging on to my existing wireless system (LinkSys router and Embarq 600 modem) fine. Just yesterday my Embarq 600 modem failed. CenturyLink replaced it (yes, the same day, wonder of wonders) with a new modem/router combination, eliminating the need for the LinkSys router. So far I've successfully linked another desktop, two laptops, an XBox 360, and an IPOD Touch into the new wireless network. This Acer Aspire, however, steadfastly refuses to link in. It sees the network and asks for the password when I try to connect. I've checked and double checked my typing with the password, checked properties (security is WPA-Personal, encryption type is TKIP--same as on the other computers). I must be missing something.
    Keith

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

I tried the suggestion. Hooked the laptop up to the router with a LAN cable so I could get it on the internet.... Went to the website, downloaded fix MicrosoftFixit50357. Ran it. (BTW it creates a restore point by itself, so you don't really need to do that.) It runs for a bit then says "The Microsoft Fix it failed to process."
    Still no wireless.
    Thanks for the suggestion though. I think I'm going to take the laptop to McDonald's and see if it logs on to their WiFi hotspot connection. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the laptop because it had no problem logging on to my previous wireless setup. Just this new router/modem combination.
    Keith

4. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , go to

Start - Run type this mmc devmgmt.msc - Ok , looking for any yellow mark , is there ? :wave

5. tgell

As falconattack has suggested, it may be a driver issue. What is your wireless chip? You can also check some of the solutions here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...network/d2b29ff3-d91c-418d- bcdb-1bcaeaef9f88

Edit: You may want to manually edit the registry to change the Broadcast flag.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  6. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

It's been awhile since I first posted this problem, but it hasn't gone away, I just haven't had much time to work with it.
    First, the Microsoft Answers Page isn't there any more, so no help there.
    Second, I'm not comfortable fooling with the registry without more specific instructions. I remember doing it from DOS, but I haven't tried from Windows (Vista btw).
    Third, I ran DEVMGMT.MSC and it told me everything was working properly. Nothing is flagged with yellow. Atheros AR5007EQ Wireless Network Adapter and NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.
    Lastly, I took the computer to McDonald's and successfully logged on, so it still works.
    The error I get is that the attempt to log on failed because it timed out. When I entered the password wrong, it told me that it didn't match. When I enter it right, it times out.
    Thanks for all the help so far.
    Keith

7. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

Modified reply: ignore the last one.
    It's been awhile since I first posted this problem, but it hasn't gone away, I just haven't had much time to work with it.
    First, the Microsoft Answers Page: I left a question, haven't gotten an answer.
    Second, I'm not comfortable fooling with the registry without more specific instructions. I remember doing it from DOS, but I haven't tried from Windows (Vista btw).
    Third, I ran DEVMGMT.MSC and it told me everything was working properly. Nothing is flagged with yellow. Atheros AR5007EQ Wireless Network Adapter and NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller.
    Lastly, I took the computer to McDonald's and successfully logged on, so it still works.
    The error I get is that the attempt to log on failed because it timed out. When I entered the password wrong, it told me that it didn't match. When I enter it right, it times out.
    Thanks for all the help so far.
    Keith

8. tgell

Vista connections issues are sometimes solved by upgrading your router firmware, but you will have to backup your router settings as after a firmware upgrade, your settings are lost. If this is a fairly new router, then a firmware upgrade would not really help. Do you have other Vista computers that connect okay to your router?

Try turning off your modem and router then restart the modem and then router. Make sure that the Encryption of the router is the same as the Encryption selected on the laptop adapter. If your router is WPA2/AES make sure the laptop is also. You can also uncheck ipv6 (do not uninstall) in your adapter properties and see if that helps.

9. kjhansen56

kjhansen56 Corporal

I don't want to try to update the router firmware as it's brand new, so, as you stated, it probably won't help. And yes, there are two other Vista computers successfully logged on to the wireless network.
    You said:

"Make sure that the Encryption of the router is the same as the Encryption selected on the laptop adapter. If your router is WPA2/AES make sure the laptop is also. You can also uncheck ipv6 (do not uninstall) in your adapter properties and see if that helps."

Sounds good. How do I do this? There is no option for changing, or even showing, encryption in Vista/Device Manager/Network Adapters/Properties. And I don't see a box for ipv6. I'm also not sure how to check router settings. It's a Westell model 7500 router.
    Keith

Keith

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  10. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

As tgell doesn't appear to be around atm take a look at THIS. Post back if it doesn't move you on as these operations suggested by tgell are straightforward.

11. tgell

Here is a link on disabling ipv6. Does your properties show ipv4?

http://www.home-network-help.com/disable-ipv6.html

To look at the settings in the router/modem I believe the address is 192.168.1.1 which you would type in the address bar of your browser. If 192.168.1.1 does not work you can open up a command window and type:

ipconfig <enter>

Look for Default Gateway and it will list the ip address. Type this in your browser. Better IE than firefox or chrome.

12. tgell

When logging into your router it will ask for a user and password. Your ISP should provide the user name and password if asked if you did not get it with your router. Westell has user guides for this modem but there are many models under the 7500. The user guide may have info on the default user name and password. Your IPS may also have user guides for your router. These should be changed from default if your ISP did not change them.

http://www.westell.com/support

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds