Older Dell without wireless capabilities

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dschubba, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Dschubba

Dschubba Private E-2

Hi, I have an older Dell,a Dimension 8250; it's around 7 years old. It's been a good machine but I recently had Hughesnet put a dish on the roof to speed up my internet . The guy who installed it says that the Dell doesn't have the stuff to use the wireless . I have a laptop which works fine with the router that I put in but want to get the old Dell hooked up to it , if I can. I don't know a lot about computers in general and nothing at all about wireless, so I don't know what information I should give you in order to get some help but if more info is needed please tell me what and I will get it. I am hoping that there is some way I can make the old Dell work with the wireless connection. Still a good machine other than the networking problem. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks, Dschubba

2. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

I do not see why a net card would take care of that! I have an old Dell Dimension 300 as a back up that has a net card, it is about the same age as yours.

3. Dschubba

Dschubba Private E-2

I found out that it did have a card and a new one was put in but that didn't help either so I took it to the Geek shop and they just called today to say it was ready to go so will pick it up and hopefully it will work when I get it home. They said they had a hard time getting the drivers for it but I guess they did. I'll find out in a day or two when I get to town . Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Jack

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds