older games on windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Anon-125cdb8a9b, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Anon-125cdb8a9b

Anon-125cdb8a9b Anonymized

I made a topic about this a little while ago, but now when ive come back to recheck the answer i got, i cant seem to find the topic so heres my new one.

Can older games be played on windows 7, by older i mean games that are designed for XP & Vista.

E.G. Supreme Commander, Dawn Of War 2, Command and Conquer games....

Sorry to make a new post of it but i cant remember the answer i got from the first topic.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

HI
    If you open "control panel" and scroll down until you find "troubleshooting" click that and at the top of the page you will see "run programs made for previous windows"

When you open it click next and you will be provided with a list of programs that are running under a previous OS, if you want to add click on "program not shown" and browse through your files to find the prog you want.

3. brandypeppy

brandypeppy MajorGeek

I know somebody bemoaning the fact that her new 7 machine won't run most of her XP programs, (don't know which ones). Will this procedure work for those as well, maybe? :wave:wave

4. motc7

motc7 Vice Admiral (Starfleet)

Still looking for some solutions on how to run Wolfenstein and Doom on 7.

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

If compatability mode as Bill points out doesnt work then try this and run the game in Windowed Mode, right click the shortcut and choose properties then in the Target box add a -w to the end of the link, e.g.

"C:\Program Files (x86)\GameName\GameEXE.exe" -w

Another thing to run is VirtualPC2007 or Virtual Box and as you will have likely a licence for previous Windows version as mentioned that the game worked in that, then run VPC and install the older version of Windows then the game and see how it goes, may not be great as default basic drivers are normally installed ina virtual machine, so 2nd alternative is dual boot.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds