older pc memory

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by harris24982, Jan 23, 2006.

1. harris24982

harris24982 Private First Class

i have an old pc thats running pc100 memory it runs fine and is fast but ive been looking into upgradeing the amount of memory and found there is not much difference in price between pc100 and pc133

so the question is if i was to take out all the pc100 and install the same amount of pc133 (amount being 256mb) would it make much difference to make the extra cost worth it

2. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Chances are... No. Reason being, your processor is probably running at 100Mhz FSB and your motherboard may or may not be limited to PC100. If it is, PC133 RAM will still only run at PC100.

For SDRAM, your processor, motherboard, and RAM need to all run at the same speed. They will only run at the speed of the slowest part. And like I said, chances are your processor is running at PC100 speeds.

You could upgrade your CPU and RAM, and your motherboard (if needed), but IMO, it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle.

3. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

It depends on your computer.

If the bus is 133, then there will be a small performance increase.

Whether you will notice it or not is another matter.

Installing more memory, like 512MB would make a difference if your motherboard supports it.

4. harris24982

forgot to mention the motherboard supports both upto 1gig of eather pc100 or 133

i have 4 slots 3 with memory in to get it to 1gig ime gona have to take out 2 to make room for bigger ones

thats the only reason i was looking into pc133 if it will only make a small difference i will just put the money into a processor
    running a 450mhz but board supports upto 750mhz would that be a more noticable upgrade?

5. Insomniac

The more memory the better.

As far as the CPU, going from 450 to 750 would be good, and certainly noticeable, but that depends on how much you have to pay for the processor.

6. harris24982

its running the old pentium 3 i got my last 1 going from 350mhz p2 to 450mhz p3 for 99p on ebay :) 750 were selling for around same price

thats why i like this old system i paid £2 for my last memory upgrade from 128MB to 256MB
    and it runs faster and smoother than my mates 6month old system

7. Insomniac

If you can get the CPU for that, then it's worth it.

If you bought it from a shop or trader it would be much more, and probably not worth it.

8. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Make sure that the processor has a front side bus of 133. At 750 Mhz it's probably 100. If I were you, I'd look at getting a 733 instead.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds