On Installing New Hard Drives

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Orbital57, Jan 26, 2005.

1. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

I've just added a new hard disk to my PC and since I was having some problems with getting XP to recognise it I came here and one of your other threads fixed it perfectly. Thanks :)

There is one additional issue though (I'm making it up as I go along since I'm a digital caveman), I also saw some advice that said , and I quote -

Tsranch - 'Do Not, I repeat Do Not, put the optical drive on the same cable as a hard drive. Make sure you're using 80-wire DMA cable, and primary and secondary should be marked on the mobo. Possibly as IDE-1 and IDE-2 respectivly.'

Now I've got a mini tower with only 4 drive bays (2 small, 2 large) and since my floppy drive and primary HDD take up the two small bays I bought some brackets and installed the 2nd HDD in the spare 5.25 under the CD-RW and connected it to the secondary plug.

Is this likely to cause me any problems? (Warning! I only understood the first sentance of the quote!)

The PC is a 2.4 Gig Athlon running XP Home
    Primary HDD is 40 Gig (I plan on using this for core programs)
    Secondary HDD is 120 Gig (for games, MP3's and other multimedia)

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance for the advice and the REALLY useful site!

2. TheDoug

TheDoug MajorGeek

Older chipsets used to limit the transfer rate of devices on the same IDE channel to that of the slowest device. This is not true of modern chipsets. If you have the mentioned 80-conductor cable you should be fine.

3. Orbital57

Orbital57 Private First Class

Thanks. I had worried it was a problem of trying to pour too much data down one cable (especially since games will be sharing the HDD and CD-RW).

I'll go back to lurking in the shadows then :)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Not really.. in the ideal situation yes have 1 item per controller but its not always possible.. which controllers ( IDE cable ) are your devices ( HDs and CDROM/DVD etc ) on?

You can have the HDs on one controller set to C: as Master and D: as Slave then the CDroms on there own controller.

Glad the site helped you fix your problem... Welcome & stick around and have fun :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds