On line java games not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by dlb, Jan 6, 2009.

1. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Vista Home Premium SP1 - The owner of this laptop (Toshiba Satellite P205) is big into online Java games like Pogo, Yahoo Games, etc. The Pogo games start to run, then close to an error screen; screenshot below. The Yahoo games just sit at the "Opening Java applet" screen forever. The PCs owner said they worked fine until she went through Add/Remove Programs and removed all the old extra Java RE updates. She installed the newest one, and the games haven't worked since. I have since uninstalled Sun Java RE, ran CCleaner, reinstalled, uninstalled Sun Java RE with Revo, used CCleaner, reinstalled, etc etc etc etc etc etc. Nothing I have tried will get the freekin online Java games to run. That is the MAIN use of this PC is the Pogo games and without it, this lady is lost. so it needs to be fixed!

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Attached Files:

2. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

I haven't seen that error from Pogo since Windows 98...

Have you tried running JavaRa to clean all of the old Java files? Also have you tried using an different browser?

3. Cat_w_9_lives

Cat_w_9_lives Major KittyCat

Try this maybe...

In FF it's Tools > Options > Content

Then under Block pop-up windows > Exceptions

add "games.yahoo.com" (without quotes) Allow

Then try to go play a game @ yahoo, remember having to do this awhile back.

4. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Pogo works best with Internet Explorer, as I believe you are using. Tried turning pop up blocker off or adding url's to exceptions list. Then going through internet options and checking settings. Maybe an older but safe version of Java would work, but I doubt it. Used to play Pogo games constantly, but compatibility issues with other browsers and operating systems turned me off to it. Have you tried a lot of different games, sometimes one game will work when another doesn't. Probably something simple.
    Liked tri peaks solitaire and lost temple poker, hope it gets sorted out.

5. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

Yes, I used JavaRa and it didn't work. :( I did not try a different browser; the owner of the PC is more-or-less incapable of change and I think Opera or Firefox would send her into a mental meltdown of epic proportions.
    Thanks Cat but I'm using IE (probably should have mentioned that).
    Yup... tried all that. No dice....

Here's what I did: I ended up uninstalling McAfee, which didn't help with the Java but it sure helped speed up the PC. I then uninstalled Java again with Revo. I then used the built-in IE "reset to defualts" button in the 'Advanced' tab of Internet Properties. Then I lowered some of the IE security settings by a notch (from Medium-High to Medium in most cases) and enabled all Add-Ons and ActiveX Plugins. For good measure I ran CCleaner on the reg and HD and rebooted. Then I downloaded the newest Java and performed an offline install (I even disconnected from the 'net during the install). Then I rebooted again. I went back in to IE settings, and made sure the changes I made before had 'stuck' (they did) and went to Pogo. I've been playing Atlantis Slots for the past 30 minutes!!!
    :celebrate :dancer :dood :hyper

Thanks for the interest and thanks for the suggestions! I do appreciate it!!!

[dlb]

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds