One computer 2 hard drives?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lancelot_69, Aug 23, 2009.

1. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Recently I had a motherboard fried, in my efforts to find and repair it a friend of mine gave me a 80 gb hard drive! So when I replaced the motherboard I also replace my old 40gb hard drive. Now I have some files on the 40gb hd that I want. Yes I thought I already copied them onto the 80 gb hd but did not. Can I install the 40gb hd in my computer along with the 80gb? Also if I can since I believe the 40gb hd has been formatted I need to do a file recovery with either pc tool recovery or data recovery v3.34. Can I also do this while in the same computer without damaging the current 80gb hd? Attach is a Everest home edition detail of what I am using, also I have windows xp home editon installed. Thanks for your time and effort!

Attached Files:

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Would depend on the type of machine and if it has room for a slave drive.

3. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Is that info not in the everest report I posted? If not where can I find out that info?

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Looks like you already have a second (slave) drive, or is that one big one that is partitioned?

5. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

I have a 80gb internal hd which is not partitioned and a 500gb external hd which is not partitioned, but I think you have got me thinking in the right direction. If I reboot and f8 it should tell me if I have room for another slave drive? Correct? Thanks again!

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Is your machine a desktop tower,notebook, or what?
    F: must be the external.

7. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

My computer is a desktop tower, its a hopped up emachine lol! F is the external 500 gb hd

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Open up your machine and see if there is a plug-in between your hard drive and your motherboard.If so, you can install a slave.

9. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Have done that, there is one. I was more concerned about a power shortage. Thanks for your help. I will let you know how it went! Unless it blows up lol! Ok I will use my mac to curse you out JK! Thanks again!

10. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

11. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

Thanks! That is a great gadget! Looks like I will need it lol. I installed the 40gb hd in the slave portion of the plug in leaving the 80 gb as master but for some reason the computer tries to boot on the slave? Which no operating system exists. I am going to reboot to see if the boot order is correct. Master should be 80 gb then make the slave the 40 with no boot option to it I guess. Once again thanks and I will be back to praise or slam you lol! No really you have been so kind! I am going to get that gadget though I could come in handy!

12. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Have you checked the jumpers on your "slave". Should be set as slave or Cable Select position.

13. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

I went in to set up, made the 80gb the master, made the 40gb the primary slave, the setting is ide removable? On the jumpers I plugged the 80gb into master and 40gb into slave. The jumper is marked SLAVE and MASTER. I am wondering if there is something in the settings that I am doing wrong?

14. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

I was referring to the jumper pins on the hard drive itself.

15. lancelot_69

lancelot_69 Private E-2

You are correct sir! I have found the issue, it was the jumper pins. The drive is installed, I will start recovery of files later tonight since it takes 12 hrs lol! Thank you for your expertise and have a nice day!

16. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Glad to have been of service.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds