One fan not moving

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darlene1029, Aug 22, 2009.

1. darlene1029

darlene1029 A Grand Lady- R.I.P. 06/06/2012

I was dusting the insides because I noticed the tower hot yesterday. One little fan inside is moving fine, this one I can't get to is not. Should it be? It is dirty, how do I get to it?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

It should run once the PC has been switched on for a while.

If you undo those screws that look like you can use a spanner to get them off with [id recommend using a screwdriver]
    The whole little box that it is in will come away from the case.
    BE CAREFUL TO MAKE SURE IT DOESNT FALL WHILE LOOSENING THE SCREWS!

Then ther will be several smaller screws holding the little case together.
    CAUTION! on mine ther is a warning sticker telling me that their is no user servicable parts inside, but the fan just unplugs like any other [those lil red and black wires just run to a lil two pin male connector]

ALSO IT WARNS THER IS A POSSIBILTY OF ELECTROCUTION!, so proceed at your own risk,
    im assuming ther is a possibility of electricity being stored even when switched off, so i would recommend you hold the pc power on button in for a few seconds to discharge any power and then leave for an hour before working on it..

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, if it's not moving then the power supply will overheat and probably fry, besides putting your other components at risk, best to get a new one, they're really inexpensive.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When augiedoggie said "best to get a new one" he meant a power supply not just the fan part.
    It is never a good idea to do too much to a power supply. If it appears that something in it isn't working, replace the complete unit and get rid of the old unit.

5. ~Q~

~Q~ Command Sergeant Major

I suppose plodr & augiedoggie are right replacing the whole PSU would be the best solution, but with a price of about £50 [in my case] for a new PSU or about £3.50 from my local spares shop for a new fan, i know i'd be more inclined to give it a chance and just do the fan.

6. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

The way to go if strapped.Cheap fix if it works.Small price to be out if it doesn't do the trick.
    See if there is a burnt odor from the PSU also. Good indicator.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds