One more thing before I order

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoeN, Jun 5, 2006.

1. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Would like to place an order to NewEgg for the following, but found I can't piggyback future orders onto the 1st, I want to take advantage of their Preferred Account which lets you make payments over 6 months without any interest so I will need to also order a OS and HDD now too. Would like to get Win. XP Pro and a 80 - 120 GB HDD, looks like OC's come barebones OEM, any problems I need to be aware of with an OEM ver. over retail (at a much higher cost).
    As for the HDD, based on the list below - how about a suggestion - not sure if I want to go SATA or IDE, not much into gaming, Thanks in advance :)

AN8 SLI Premium MoBo (on sale)
    Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego (on sale)
    1 GB Corsair 3200c2pt (on sale) (less than the 3200c2)
    Antec TruePowerII 550w PSU
    Lian Li PC-7A PlusII
    EVGA GeForce 7600GS 256-P2-N549 (has Rebate)

I'll pick up the Optical drives and Floppy later -

2. Insomniac

Insomniac Billy Ray Cyrus #1 Fan

With OEM XP, the licence stays with that PC for ever.

Micro$$oft has also tightened restrictions on OEM, so if you change the motherboard, you need to buy another copy of XP.

The only exception is if the motherboard is faulty.

It's up to you which way you go.

For hard drive, I would go for SATA. (probably a Maxtor DiamondMax 10 with 16MB cache)

It's (SATA) not faster, but it's easier to physically install, and the cables are much neater which improves access and airflow.

It will also help to future proof the system and the drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds