One quick and probably stupid question:

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cnybud, Jul 31, 2006.

1. cnybud

cnybud Private First Class

I have a computer with 512MB of 333 DDR Ram on two dimms (laptop) and I saw an ad for a GB of memory that was DDR 400 or DDR-2/533 for $99. Sounds like a good deal but I dunno if my machine will take the ram, or if I can use the mismatched 256MB with the 1GB. ANy ideas? I checked at the manufacturers website but I can't seem to find out. Thanks in advance

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Maybe we could help if we had some information on your computer, without that your pretty much on your own.. and I am suprised that the manufactures site had no specifications for your particular model. Post your make/model here.

3. cnybud

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

you have a laptop that requires it's own specific type of ram which is usually a little pricier than desktop pc ram. according to hp, you can use "200-pin, PC2700 DDR1-333 Small Outline (SODIMM)" ram in that laptop.

5. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

6. cnybud

smoking gun. Thanks for the info, i was afraid of that. Now I know what to look for, I will still have to wait a bit for prices to come down, but at least i know what and where to look. Viperboy Thanks for the link, that looks pretty good, and yes the limit is 2GB

7. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

www.crucial.com has an on-line program that will check out your computer and advise what RAM is suitable. (As a second opinion) Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds