One thing that drives me nuts...

Discussion in 'Software' started by MrPewty, Apr 16, 2007.

1. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

is those little yellow boxes that serve to repeat whatever text is in the link above which you have positioned the cursor.

What they actually do is hide one of the options in the drop down menu you have chosen.

How can I get rid of them....?

2. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Do you mean the "Balloons"?

If so, download TweakUi from www.annoyances.com
    Install it, and go to Taskbar and Start Menu.
    Uncheck the "enable Balloon tips" box.

Lots of other tweaks in TweakUi, as well. Bazza

===

3. MrPewty

MrPewty MajorGeek

Thanks bb, but I'm on an IT controlled, wrist slapping laptop. No way it will let me install TweakUI.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

The other yellow boxes that popup and obscure some menus are Tool Tips and to tweak them freely you can edit their registry locations, but as your on a IT controlled PC, MrP this will not be an option I would imagine.

In case anyone is curious these are the locations:

To disable balloon tips in the notification area ( Task Bar Balloon tips which TweakUi will do as pointed out above )
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \Advanced]
    EnableBalloonTips = 0

To disable "Show popup description for folder and desktop items" (Folder Options):
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Explorer \Advanced]
    ShowInfoTip = 0

To disable tooltip for folders:
    FolderContentsInfoTip = 0

To disable tooltips for the start button:
    StartButtonBalloonTip = 0

To disable tooltips for the start menu:
    [HKEY_CURRENT_USER \Software \Microsoft \Windows \CurrentVersion \Policies \Explorer]
    NoSMBalloonTip = 1

TweakUI afair will do balloon tips but not tool tips.

5. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Halo, thanks for the clarification and additional tweaks. :major Bazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds