Online Armor or Comodo/Help me decide

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sorenius, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Sorenius

Sorenius Private E-2

Recently I was having several BSoD which were most likely caused by a certain zone alarm driver. Thus, I uninstalled it and haven't had any problems since. However, now I need a new firewall and have narrowed my choices down to comodo and online armor. Can someone recommend one over the other or are there any drawbacks to one? Also, just how effective is the windows firewall or the firewall on one's router (I use a laptop)?

Any advice or answers would be appreciated.

~Sorenius

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

If you're a safe surfer with updated system, A/V, anti-malware, good hosts file and programs/plugins, etc., you'll be pretty safe with the Vista/W7 firewall plus the NAT/firewall in your router. But do you ever use the laptop away from base ... ?

I'd drop Online Armor and consider PrivateFirewall or Comodo.

Don't read too much into the Matousec findings that you've probably looked at (everyone seems to bring it up) until you check which tested 'firewalls' are actually full security suites. PrivateFirewall is listed as best of the firewalls. The Comodo version tested is the Comodo Internet Security, which I take to mean is the 'suite'.

3. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Which is better of the two? PrivateFirewall or Comodo Firewall?

4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hmm, my personal preference leans towards PF, nothing solid to back it up with, though. Unless you count a dislike of the holier than thou hype on the Comodo website, that is ;).

I think there's very little to choose between them as part of a well-layered defence; both are about equally light on system resources, about the same in terms of ease of training, too.

If disk space is an issue, I think that when fully installed and updated, PF is a lot lighter, sub 30MB compared to around 120+MB for CF, if my memory serves me correctly. The initial PF download is much smaller, too; makes it a no-brainer for dial-up or limited download connections.

Link to an earlier discussion.

5. Sorenius

Sorenius Private E-2

I see, in that case I will probably just have to flip a coin for it. :p

Also, the main reason I want this is that I occasionally browse some shady gaming/anime news sites and was hesitant to visit them after uninstalling zone alarm. As for my wireless connection, I usually connect from home, so while I probably want a firewall if I should venture from my home connection, that wasn't the primary reason for getting a firewall. Anyways, thanks for the help.

~Sorenius

6. damas7

damas7 Private E-2

OK! Test OA++5 v CIS v PF with Comodo Leak Test and you will find out who is the best, Idid and I have the result but find by your selves.
    By thge way OA++5 is best than CIS or even more than Malwarebytes!?!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds