Online game not working after xp2 update

Discussion in 'Software' started by Par5Golf, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Par5Golf

Par5Golf Private First Class

Hello, I have this online game for my website and before the xp2 update i could play it now i cant connect to it at all.

it is a multi player game where you can play with up to 4 people at once.

not sure if i can post a link but here is the game in question

http://bvn.games.tucows.com/preview/211132.html

thanks

2. Par5Golf

nope no little box....i think it has to do with the activeX that is blocked by the spyware stuff i have installed...but im not sure

3. bjgarrick

bjgarrick MajorGeeks Admin - Malware Expert

What all do you have installed that could be blocking it?

Try this and let me know if it worked or not.

Reset Web Settings & Default Security Settings:

To Reset Web Settings:
    Right click on your desktop Internet Explorer icon and select Properties. Then click the Programs tab and then click "Reset Web Settings". Now go back to the General tab and set your home page address to something useful like www.majorgeeks.com. Click Apply. Click Delete Cookies, Click Delete Files and select Delete all Offline content too, Click OK. When it finishes Click OK.

To Default Security Settings:
    Right click on your desktop Internet Explorer icon and select Properties. Then click the Security Tab and click Default Level for Internet, Local Intranet, Trusted Sites, and Restricted Sites.

Do you get anything like the image below?

Attached Files:

4. Par5Golf

ok did all that and still wont load game (sigh)

yes i did on websites i go to with active x

the program i have is spyblaster i think its called

5. bjgarrick

What exactly happens when you go to the site and try to load the game?

6. Par5Golf

well you dont really go to the site....its a exe program that you install and then you can either play by yourself or with up to 4 people from the golf servers for the game.... it was working fine till i have some spyware issues so i installed some things and did a full update (well needed) and then i cant even play the game by myself....and i cant connect to the other players in the match...i can access there servers and talk in the club houses to other golfers but i cant connet to play the game very frustrating indeed

7. bjgarrick

Are you completely clean of spyware/viruses at the moment?

8. Par5Golf

9. bjgarrick

Can you attach me a current HJT log so I can rule this out? Please attach it to your post if you do and make sure its version 1.99.1

10. Par5Golf

yes i can and here it is :)

Attached Files:

11. bjgarrick

Log is clean! One thing I want to ask.

Was the following programs installed before the problem starting to occur?

Sygate
    Avast4
    SpywareGuard
    ERUNT

12. Par5Golf

no they wernt i only had the windows firewall, and norton installed....(norton was out of date)

13. bjgarrick

Did you get rid of Norton completely? Was it just NAV or was it part of Internet Security or Systemworks?

Also, Uninstall these 2 and see if your problem is fixed.

SpywareGuard
    ERUNT

14. Par5Golf

i unistalled the norton from the windows site on how to do it.....and it was gone or my avast wouldnt turn on it said ...

but i unistalled the two programs and i can play golf by my self now at least but no one i know is awake to see if i can connect to anther person as its 430 am lol

so can you explain to me how unistalling those programs helped me?

the reson i ask is because a few other people have the same problem as me but im not sure if they installed the same programs as me.

15. bjgarrick

ERUNT you shouldnt need anymore as its for registry backup, you was asked to download this in the spyware forum. SpywareGuard could have been blocking something that the program needed to connect with.

Now, What version of Norton did you have installed? Was it just Norton AntiVirus or was it part of Norton Internet Security or Norton SystemWorks?

16. Par5Golf

to be honest im not really sure...it was allready on the pc when i bought it...so i am thinking it was just Norton AntiVirus. why would that have something to do with it as well?

17. bjgarrick

Remnants of a bad Norton install can do many things. Do you remember if it was 2002, 2003, 2004 ?

18. Par5Golf

it was norton 2003 i do rember that

19. bjgarrick

Download Rnav

This tool will cleanup any leftovers of Norton AntiVirus. When running this tool it will prompt you when you run it "Would you like to exit now and try this" click NO. Now, Select Norton AntiVirus 2003/Norton AntiVirus 2003 Professional and click OK.

Reboot and see if your problem is resolved.

20. Par5Golf

ok i ran that proggie but like i said before i can play golf by myself so its working far better than it was i just have to wait to get someone to play golf with to see if i can connect to them or not

21. bjgarrick

So as of right now there isnt much more we can do to find out if your problem is resolved or not?

22. Par5Golf

not really untill some of my lazy ass golf buddies wake up lol im going on a long day but so far its working back to they way it was

23. bjgarrick

Im glad its working better, hopefully everything will be back to normal. If you experience anymore problems just post back, If I dont reply send me a PM and I will get it as I stay in the Spyware Specific forum most of time.

Happy Computing :)

24. Par5Golf

ok thanks....ill post back after some one wakes up so i can try the multi player gameing

thanks again

25. bjgarrick

Your Welcome! :)

Like I said PM me if I dont reply, I stay in the Spyware Specific forum :D

26. Par5Golf

well it worked i can play multi player...now do you think i should install the Spyware Gaurd again or do i not need it?

Thanks again bud

27. bjgarrick

Glad you got it working :)

As far as the Spyware Guard goes, thats totally up to you man, if you think you need it then go ahead. As long as you have a up-to-date AntiVirus, Firewall and all your updates from Microsoft then you should be ok.

Browse Safely :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds