Online Tracking.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Eldon, Dec 23, 2015.

?

Are you protected against online tracking?

1. 4 x yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 3 x yes

25.0%
  3. 2 x yes

75.0%
  4. 1 x yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

How well does your browser protect you against online tracking?
    Here's an interesting service.
    https://panopticlick.eff.org/

Take the test - let's compare results!
    And tell us the name and version no. of the browser, as well as what type of tracking protection you are using.

Internet Explorer 9. o_O :eek:
    Tracking Protection Lists.
    Avast Online Security - on or off, I still get 3 :p, only failing 'fingerprinting'.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Last time I checked, panopticlick seemed buggy, see the comments on the recent ghacks review.

3. Eldon

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I get two out of the four, fail on bottom two.

Using Win10
    Nightly 46.01a
    Windows Defender, Spywareblaster and my cunning guile

5. satrow

That link was the one I was referring to, check the comments.

I can have a different Canvas fingerprint on each refresh of the page ^^ but I don't usually run that way, it costs me time with re-logging etc.

I'm frequently running a non-public Beta browser, I'd be very surprised if anyone else had exactly the same detections/fingerprint as me.

I just noticed that it incorrectly detects my screen size (I'm running without poisoning Canvas fingerprinting) yet with a backup browser, an up-to-date FF x86 Release version, it detects it correctly:

6. EJB

EJB Corporal

Internet Explorer 11.
    F-Secure suite.
    Top 2..... Yes.
    Bottom 2....No and 'Your browser has a unique fingerprint'.

7. _nullptr

_nullptr Major Geeky Geek Geek

I did the test with javascript disabled and still 'failed' fingerprinting. The only thing it fingerprinted was the spoofed user agent.
    Hello Bingbot :)

8. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Just a finger print. JS enabled. OS X. Firefox 43.0.2. And I couldn't be bothered less.

Cheers..

satrow likes this.
  9. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

IE 11 First two yes and bottom two no and it says "your browser has a unique fingerprint".

10. Eldon

'Unique' in this instance is actually bad.

11. satrow

Not really, especially if the fingerprint changes on each page refresh ;)

12. Eldon

How does one accomplish that?
    I'm using Internet Explorer 9 & Mozilla Firefox 42.

13. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Wow...:eek: Amazed at the results.

I run Firefox in the 360 TS sandbox. Firefox has NoScript, Ghostery, and Bluhell firewall. The plug ins are the real thing, but NoScript take a while to get used to. I don't white list much so I do have to temp allow alot, but it's worth it to me. Ghostery is a great compliment. If I white list or temp allow a page, Ghostery still blocks the ad junk. Bluhell is a great site firewall. NoScript is the key, though. It blocks redirect downloads.

I still don't think I'm safe even with MBAM pro, 360 TS, Private Firewall, GlassWire Net Monitor, and EMET running. This is because I watched a guy on the today show the other day hack a random person in about 20 seconds. Wish I had the answers for that kind of thing...

14. satrow

I use Pale Moon:
    • Not sure that this applies to the PM version for Atom/XP though.

The current public Beta version also has an experimental XSS blocker:

15. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

Using Pale Moon 25.8.1 + AdBlock Plus + McAfee 8.8, got top three 3 but unique fingerprint. The Panopticlick website has an invalid or out of date certificate and wanted me to activate Java Deployment Toolkit, which it says has security vulnerabilities.

16. Anon-9aee479f8f

Interesting when I use Pale Moon my results are all 4 no and your browser has a unique fingerprint.
    I only use Pale Moon as my back up but I see there is a update so I will update and see if that changes things.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  17. Anon-9aee479f8f

Nope got the same results.

18. Eldon

Thanks satrow, it's much appreciated.
    I think I'll use Tor, or Linux and Tor. And then run Windows in a virtual machine. And not connect to the internet while using Windows.
    I will find a way...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds