Only 2 sata connectors in motherboard, how to increase?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Nexus_, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I only have 2 sata connectors in my motherboard and i wanted to add multiple drives.

Is there some sort of cable or device i can add to make this possible.

Also one of my psu only has 2 sata connectors. I also wanted to add more and the only thing i found was something called an hdd connector y split cable which only increases my count by 1.

2. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

Do you also have another power (molex) connection. The "Y" cable would be for the data connection. The additional drive would also need a power connection.

3. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

4. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

i think i only have 1 molex in this power supply

What i bought was a y splitter cabble that has a 15 pin connector that i would just put in one of the other cables.

Hopefully it works

5. mdonah

On my cloning kit I have a molex to 15 pin cable for power and a 7 pin to 7 pin cable for data. So, you'll get power but not data transfer. The IDE connections get both power and data transfer from the USB port on my laptop.

Perhaps the SATA PCI card suggested by foogoo along with the $5 cable he links you to will better suit your needs.

6. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

7. mdonah

8. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

The 7 pin connectors would be my sata cables which i will connect to my motherboard

So assuming i have this correct: the sata cables connected to my motherboard will make my hard drives readable while the 15 pin connectors will supply power to the hard drives or dvd drives.

But yeah i think i also need to buy some pci connector for additional sata ports because i only have 2 on my motherboard.

Those cables only take care of 1 of the issues which is my limit to 2 15 pin connectors in this PSU i am using

Since there seems to be many y split cables for other internal hardware if i find a sata splitter cable would it be an issue?

9. mdonah

You are correct. You want to have more than 2 SATA hard drives but are limited to two currently. The PCI card and the "Y" cables are both necessary to accomplish this. Now, my questions are do you have the space in your case to mount them? Otherwise, they'll be dangling loosely on the outside. Do you have enough cooling capacity?

10. Nexus_

Nexus_ Staff Sergeant

I think i do have enough space for this as well as cooling

I actually built this computer purely for testing hardware and cloning/backing up so with this in mind i got a case that can accommodate cables, cooling and such.

I think my case can house about 10 hard drives, and it has 3 fans 1 which i can tweak more than the others however it becomes noisy so i just unplugged it.

Mine i believe is a node 804

Before i build this , testing other hardware was dull for me, because my other computer cases are slim designs with not a lot of room for other hardware. So i would test hard drives and other hardware on them with the lid opened so the cables wouldn't get jammed.

Most would say a test bench would be ideal however i did buy that first prior to buying this roomy case and i had a bad experience which another user here warned me about. My brother in law brought a walkie talkie and was using it near my test bench and it ruined my other motherboard

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds