Only receiving 1/3 of internet connection

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KaisorSoze, Oct 1, 2005.

1. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

Hello Guys

I have a couple of questions. I am having trouble with my internet connection. I have BellSouth Ultra, which has an advertised download of 1.5Mbps and upload of 256Kbps. I have a Westell WireSpeed 2100 modem. However, based on a speed test from http://www.speed.fastaccess.com and http://www.dslreports.com I am only getting 510-556Kbps download speed. Upload is fine.

A couple of things that I have tried is rebooting the modem, running several spyware programs (Ad Aware, Spybot, Microsoft Antispyware) and other antivirus programs and cleaners (HSRemove, CACleaner, Norton Anitvirus). I have Windows' Firewall disabled. Also, I ran these programs in safe mode. I have uninstalled my network card and reinstalled it. I have defrag my pc (which I do on a regular). I ran a tweak check, which suggested I changed my MTU to 1500. My connection setup is from the wall to the modem and to the Pc (no router). I am using a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Lan Card (LNE100TX ver. 5.1) [could that be my problem?] I have tried the speed test with and without filters but no difference in speed.

I also called BellSouth and had them run a line check. A representative sent someone out and checked the line in the area and everything came out okay. A representative came out a second time and checked my line inside. The machined showed results of 1.2 Mbps, which is average for Bellsouth Ultra. My outside line topped at 1.4. The rep said there is a problem with my pc. I tried to update my card driver but the Linksys website does not have my card listed??? I have a LNE100TX ver.1.5. Version 1.0 is there but not 1.5. The card is maybe 2 years old, rather I bought it two years ago.

I am wondering if anyone had a similar problem or know how can I fix my problem. I am out of ideas, but am still searching for an answer.

2. btw

btw Private E-2

try to download a file from the internet. We have calls like your all the time, and with speed tests, you test across the internet to the speed test server. Call your isp and ask if they have a speed test to thier office. You can then see if you are getting your bandwidth to them or not. I still like to dl openoffice.org. It is a 64 meg file, so it will run at a constant rate for an extended period of time. I do not work for your isp, I install and troubleshoot dsl for my company in rural mn.

3. KaisorSoze

KaisorSoze Private E-2

Thanks BTW for the reply

I call my ISP and they told me to use http://www.speed.fastaccess.com for a speed test. I download the file you suggested at openoffice.org. It started out at 386KBps and continued to drop rapidly until reaching 64.4KB/ps and stayed constant between 64.4 and 64.5. It took a total of 20 mins for the download.

Any other suggestions

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds