OOPS Deleted vga.drv

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RightGirl, Mar 11, 2005.

1. RightGirl

RightGirl Private First Class

OK - yikes
    Win 98
    video went out - bought a pci video card - installed it but mobo kept recognizing the onboard video instead. tried everything. changed bios, disabled video, installed card, onboard video keeps defaulting. I finally got fed up and just found the file for the onboard video in device manager (noted to make sure it wasnt the pci card driver) and then booted up in dos (wouldnt allow me to do it in safe mode) and deleted the VGA.DRV file (THAT'LL SHOW EM)
    c:\windows\system del vga.drv (it confirmed it was deleted)
    did a directory check and it was gone (although I "was" still viewing on the monitor in dos)
    HOWEVER .......
    now it wont boot up at all.
    it gets as far as the post and several boot items like AVG anti-virus, but then displays a message that says something about not being able to find the user.exe not found.

How could deleting a video driver then ditch the user.exe file as well.
    What in the world did I do?
    and how do I UNdo it [​IMG]

Linda

2. RightGirl

RightGirl Private First Class

ps
    thinking it was from me deleting the VGA.DRV file, I went home, copied MY file to a floppy, drove back over there and booted up into dos and copied the file back in.
    It still didn't boot up.
    HELP
    :rolleyes:
    Linda

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds