op xp home wont load

Discussion in 'Software' started by richdio, Feb 20, 2008.

1. richdio

richdio Private First Class

os will not load even safe mode, just keeps going around and around
    asking how to load etc safe mode/normal mode etc
    on a laptop (acer) not this one !!!!!: any help thanx
    rich

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

One of those options listed will be
    'last known good configuration'

Select it.

If it doesn't restart the pc, you are in for a re-installation repair or full.

3. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Not necessarily. See if there is an option to disable automatic reboot so you can read the error we aren't seeing. If the filesystem is damaged enough, then it will be in a reboot cycle, which can be as easy to fix as running a chkdsk /r from recovery console. A complete reboot cycle like that as soon as an option is chosen would cause me to be suspect of that, or registry damage. While Last Known Good is nice, it merely switches the HKLM controlset in use with a backup. If the backup is also corrupt, or the problem lies elsewhere...

Anyways, try whats been suggested by both of us (minus repair or reinstall) first before going there.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

4. richdio

thanx for that been busy all afternoon trying, finally got to the bit where its ask now for the cd-rom disc to repair select r !!!
    have u ever needed to do this ? cant try untill saturday as disc not with me sods law !!
    any idea why the file gets corrupted, found the file as being
    window\system\vgaoem.fon

does anyone want to no the final out come ?

thanx for the advise
    rich

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

6. richdio

hi,
    thanx for the reply, show my comp skills now !!! how do i use that file download ? do i just save to a mem stick then what ? plug into comp not working ? sorry never had to do this before, so step by step would help sorry still learning.
    rich.....(thanks for that link)ps how and where is that file to save or am i just being silly,read the link still need the disc ? to early for me......this morning.....

Last edited: Feb 21, 2008
  7. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

The article tells you exactly how, step by step.

Still need the CD, yup.

8. richdio

hi,
    thanx once again, will try then let u no how i get on ,
    rich ( my blond moment with the ? )

9. richdio

hi,
    Done that now !! got the op system back, didnt no i would loose all my data though !! well not my data my daughters she not happy all her music and photos gone !! still just goes to show Back up everything ! thanks for the advise and help
    rich........................

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds