Open Candy in file

Discussion in 'Software' started by tlink211, May 12, 2015.

1. tlink211

tlink211 Private E-2

I downloaded imgburn from here: http://www.majorgeeks.com/mg/getmirror/imgburn,1.html

My Norton Internet Security screamed about opencandy or open candy malware.

I downloaded the same file from imgburn and Norton was silent and scanned it as OK but the file disappeared when I ran it.

I've never seen that happen before. Maybe something with my computer or something has gone to hell at image burn.

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

I just downloaded it and had no issues.

3. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I just downloaded ImgBurn from the link you posted and it is bundled with OpenCandy. On the details page of MajorGeeks there is a clear warning in RED.

Limitations:
    This program is advertising supported and may offer to install third party programs that are not required for the program to run. These may include a toolbar, changing your homepage, default search engine or other third party programs. Please watch the installation carefully to opt out.

4. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

5. tlink211

tlink211 Private E-2

Thank you for the feedback, I did see the red warning and from Norton History I see it was automatically quarantining the file. Now that I think of it, I have seen that before.

Personally I think it's over aggressive but it is understandable.

I found Free ISO Burner http://www.freeisoburner.com/ that seemed to be OK. It doesn't even install, it just runs. I didn't use it though. By this time I went back to Ashampoo Burning Studio 15 and found Disk Image > Burn Image (I don't know why it didn't register sooner, I was tired ... :-o (If it had said, "Burn ISO," I would have been on it like ugly on an ape.))

In other news; I run the premium MalwareBytes with Norton Internet Security. It's been OK for a while now but this week Norton quarantined mbam.exe. I have that excluded now.

Thanks Again

6. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Good for you. You can't go wrong with Ashampoo Burning Studio. It's all you need for all disc burning tasks.

BTW Ashampoo now also has a free version of Photo Commander.

7. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If all you burn is ISO files, Windows 7 will do that with no other program needed. Right click the ISO and select Burn disc image.

8. tlink211

tlink211 Private E-2

When I was looking for image burn I saw someone say Win7 would burn an iso. So I tried it but my context menu doesn't offer it. Go figure.
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the kudos on Ashampoo Burning Studio 15. I used the free one for so long I felt I couldn't pass up the Burning Studio 15 offer they made me. Obviously I don't use it much or I would know it better. Live and Learn.

It does work really well.

9. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Click on Send to and it should list your DVD player.

10. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

tlink211...

You can activate the Windows burner feature into the right click context menu, so that you can right click on .isos in Windows to burn them if the occasion should ever arise. It is not set this way by default. To do this to to Start->Default Programs->Set your default programs->(on the left) choose Windows Disc Image Burner->at the bottom of the menu select "Set this program as default".

Now when you right click on a burnable .iso, you will see the menu option to "Burn disc image". This is great, but there isn't a whole lot of sophistication built into Windows for burning. As TimW mentioned, using "Send to" will work if you are simply burning files like music or pictures or video to a disk. The "Burn disk image" option won't show up, unless the file is for creating a bootable disk like a rescue disk or a CD bootable OS, etc. As limited as the feature is natively in Windows, many choose a more advanced program such as Ashampoo as previously mentioned...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds