Open Case

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by deathval, Dec 7, 2005.

1. deathval

deathval Private E-2

How bad is it to leave your case side off for cooling purposes? I tried searching the forum already but "open case" didnt bring up anything.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Personally yes ( otherwise cases wouldnt have sides ) it is as the natural airflow that the case and fans produce to cool your PC down are lost out that gaping hole, while I would agree that it does help drop temps a bit I will also allow more dust, small animals and bits into your case thus possibly causeing over time higher temps or failure of a component eg. a fan stops due to creature flying crawling in or noisey hands or other items falling in.

It doesnt or wouldnt hurt leaving it off but if you have high temps with putting it on them you need to look at the cause.... eg.

1. Not enough airflow
    2. Dirty case inside... fluff and dust buildup
    3. Cables not tidy
    4. Fans blowing air in all directions and not in a controlled mannor..... eg. Air in at front bottom and expelled out back top.

Are you experiencing high temps?

3. deathval

deathval Private E-2

Nah, im about to buy some fans and cooling devices though, cause im thinking of overclocking, but I was just wondering if it was okay to leave it off cause I've been having to mess around with it, but I'll put it back on when i get all the stuff. Thanks for your help.

4. deathval

deathval Private E-2

Oh quick question, dust and cleanliness out of the way, which method is cooler? Good ventilation with fans or open case? The room is slightly below room temperature.

5. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

I always run my system with both sides of the case open ( and only one 120MM fan blowing in ). It runs way cooler and is a lot quieter too.... I have 12 cats, 7 rabbits, and an iguana and a dog... none of them have ever messed with the case...but then again you might have more curious pets....and as far as dust goes my case is mutch cleaner with both sides open....But as halo said "noisey hands" i whould imagine kids or other little people whould love to see whats in thare and i know from experience fans can bite...

6. deathval

deathval Private E-2

I live in a dorm room alone and its on top of a desk, I think I'll choose the cheaper alternative and leave it open :p. Thanks for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds