"Open Office Document" gone from Start menu ?

Discussion in 'Software' started by JoeN, Apr 30, 2008.

1. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Not sure what has happened, when I opened the Start menu today the "Open Office Documents" was no longer there. I have Office 2003 SP3 installed, running XP Pro SP2. Yesterday I had the FIOS service from Verizon installed, NO software was installed, other than that, haven't done anything unusual, also noticed Tweak UI was missing from the Start menu, I have reinstalled that, everything else seems fine -

Any ideas ???

I use the "Open Office Documents" shortcut quite a bit, I'd like to get it back -

Thanks

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

1. . Open the Help menu in any Office application
    2. Select Detect and Repair
    3. Make sure the Restore my shortcuts while repairing option is selected
    4. Click Start to begin

4. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Thanks for the quick response guys, Halo, I think that is how I got the "Open Office Doc's" listed in the Start menu to begin with, because I did not install the complete suite - please bear with me here, I've been baby sitting my new Grand Daughter a lot lately and haven't had much time to play with the computer, basically I'm tired, where do I start the "Set-up" from that is described in the link you sent, I don't want to install the whole Suite again :confused

Thanks for the help

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi JoeN

While in the link I gave you you will be going to Add/Remove your not installing the whole application again but going to add a new feature,

These are steps, goto Add/remove Hightlight Office and choose "change" then follow below

Add/remove features ( excuse images as its Office 2007 as all I have now, but idea and location is same in office 2003 )

[​IMG]

Shared features area
    [​IMG]

6. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Thanks Halo, that IS how I installed it to begin with - just had a bit of memory lapse !!

Any idea of what may have caused it to disappear ???

Thanks again

Joe

7. JoeN

JoeN Corporal

Halo, just to follow through on this problem, I followed the instructions from the link you gave me (same as I did when I 1st installed the Office Suite), however this time the "Open Office Doc's" shortcut would NOT appear on the Start menu, I tried it 3 times, NO luck -

I then tried the advice from "plodr", using the Detect and Repair application in M$ Word, to "Restore my shortcuts", this WORKED :))

All is well

Thanks to both of you

Joe

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds